LOUD knocking in engine! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOUD knocking in engine!

So I was on the freeway last night and my engine decided that it wanted to start clicking or knocking(pick one...) I know that it has something to do with the lower part of the engine because that is where the noise is coming from, the lower rear. The #6 cyl. went out a couple months ago and had a compression of just 10. It idles much better now and seems to run better since this happened(the clicking), except the clicking is kinda annoying. Whether or not I am looking for a fix for it depends on the amount of time that I would be able to drive it for since in about 2 months I am swapping in a 360. Would I be able to drive it for that long without problems or should I fix it or replace it now? Seems to me like the suggestion could be to just live with it for a while. Just wanted a few opinions and suggestions. Thanks
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
I love bein' a Jeeper!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: LOUD knocking in engine!

I'd say rod knock if you hadn't add the part about #6 cylinder and it running better. Just on a hunch check your oil, see if smell of gasoline.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:38 PM

go out in the driveway and tach it up to about 3000 rpm hold it there for about 30 seconds or so if it doesnt come apart than i would say you are ok JUST KIDDING sounds like maybe a collapsed lifter they are pretty low in the block and sound like the botton end

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. Oil definately is black. Just smells like burnt oil though. I added some high viscosity, stringy, thick oil to it to see if things might seal up a little. It's the stuff that is recommended on the back to use in heavy equipment like tractors and etc. That wouldn't have helped injur the problem would it? I think it will be fine for a while. What's the worst that coul happen? My engine could just die at a bad time...oh well.

Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
I love bein' a Jeeper!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 09:07 PM

if you are gonna dump a 360 INTO IT ANYWAY JUST HAVE SOMEONE TO CALL IF IT BREAKS DOWN ON YA AND POUND THE SNOT OUT OF HER YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED THE AMOUNT OF PUNISHMENT THOS 258 ENGINES CAN HANDLE oops sorry bout the caps i fat fingered the lock button

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 09:52 PM

Go out and pull the #6 plug wire off the plug, if the 'Ticking' stops, it's rod bearings or the small end, (wrist pin).

If the 'Ticking' continues, put the #6 wire back on and try the other cylinders, one at a time.
IF you didn't get rid of the 'Tick', then it's PROBABLY not the lower end...

Check to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks,(often mistaken for rod knock).
Check to see if all your spark plugs are tight.

If that don't do it,
Pull the valve cover, and start checking for broken springs or valve springs that don't seem as tall as the others...

If that isn't it, try starting the engine, and pushing down each end of the rocker arms, one at a time starting in the back.
You are looking for the ticking to stop, or change pitch.

You'll find this pretty quick...
The dead give away is, if you take the valve cover off, does the noise get louder? (well, DUH!)

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Do what TR said or just drive it 'til it drops. I had you check the oil to make sure there were no crankcase explosions in your future. That compression is going somewhere. That low is probably burnt valve if it's not blowing past the rings..

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My nissan has a ticking that comes and goes and gets worse and then better, but its just the busted exhaust manifold. I would check for a leak in the exhaust, it can be pretty loud and annoying and sounds a lot like a sticking cylinder. Worst case senario is you blow a rod through the block if thats the case.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

And if you blow a rod through the side of the block, make sure that you push in the clutch and coast as far as you can so you don't have to pay the Haz-Mat crew.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a lot. TR, that makes way to much sense for me to figure out...probably why I didn't do it in the first place. I'll check it out and keep ya posted.
Tim

I love bein' a Jeeper!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode