I NEED HELP, 2000 TJ Transmission - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:47 AM
farfrum

I NEED HELP, 2000 TJ Transmission

I NEED HELP, I would appreciate any information, anybody has on 2000 TJ Transmission problems. I need actual paper with written doccumentation. I went the last time with a print out of several posts from this BBS, and was told e-mail propaganda does not warrant repairs.
My transmission had a occassional grind shifting into 2nd gear since new. It usually only happend when it was cold, first starting out, and after transmission oil change. I brought it to the dealer several times while it was under waranty, however they could not replicate the problem. Before waranty expired, 9,000km ago, I saw the service manager and filed a complaint, and I called Chrysler Canada, and filed a complaint. The reply from Chrysler Canada was, sorry the dealer has the authority on repairs and waranty work. The reply from the dealer was, if problems develop shortly after warranty, we'll work something out.
Well, I finally brought the jeep to the dealer with 69,000km, the mechanic thinks the syncros in 1st, and 2nd are gone. I think 3rd is gone as well now. The dealer wanted to charge me for 1/2 hour to look at it. The Service manager called me today and told me the local representative's reply was: I have to have Dartmouth Dodge tear the transmission down at MY EXPENSE, and then the representative will decide if they will do anything, however, he did say they would not cover 100%.
I NEED HELP, I would appreciate any information, anybody has on 2000 TJ Transmission problems. I need actual paper with written doccumentation. I went the last time with a print out of several posts from this BBS, and was told e-mail propaganda does not warrant repairs.
Any options, similar senarios, names or numbers for real people at Chrysler Canada, or the Atlantic Province regional rep.

Thank's

2000 TJ, D44 Trac-loc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:50 AM
farfrum

Re: I NEED HELP, 2000 TJ Transmission

One added note. The parts quoted totaled approximatly $300, however labour time was in exceedence of 10 hours. The total cost is close to $1500, and I am the one stuck without a vehicle for a week, for something that should have been covered under warranty.

I am sooo pissed off,
sorry for ranting!

2000 TJ, D44 Trac-loc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 04:27 PM
farfrum

btt

2000 TJ, D44 Trac-loc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 06:21 PM

I feel your pain, my tj had it's auto re-built at 57k and now at 61500 it's going bad again (it might just be overfilled by jeep) but i doubt that's the problem, i think it's time for another re-build, one of my friends who's an asc (or whatever the certification thing is) is going to help me change my tranny fluid and see if we can tell what the problem is. I think a re-built tranny should be able to whith stand much more than 3-4k. Jeep said when they re-built it that they can't garuntee the 12k/ 12mo. warenty because i 4 wheel it and they don't know how hard i push it. I hope i don't get raped for another $1600 for a tranny re-build, if it needs a re-build and they won't cover it they arn't going to re-build it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you filed a complaint before the expiration of the warranty ...they should have to fix it. There should be some arbitration remedy for you to use.

btw $1500-300parts= $1200labor/10hrs = $120/hr labor (can you say 50/50 flat rate)?????

If you end up really having to pay that much ...heck spend a little more and get a NV4500

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Was that the official "JEEP"(as in DC) rhetoric ...or just the dealers? Sounds like a dealership that had more faith in the dollars they could get from you than the ability of their wrenches to do an actual rebuild.

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 07:31 AM
farfrum

I would love to get a nv4500, but the dollars won't allow it, I am sure I can get the work and parts out od Chrysler, I just need enough proof. I don't think I could push them for a nv4500.
In Canada we have to deal with Chrysler Canada, and I'm sure it is just some call center with a sheet of paper listing the appropriate responses.
I am looking for some info from Elusive, and anyone else that has had all of the TSB work completed, and still had transmission problems, preferably their transmission replaced.

Thank's

2000 TJ, D44 Trac-loc
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Elusive had his tranny replaced due to it "popping" out of first gear while parked.. was a manufactures defect in the early 2000's.. he didnt have grinding or synchro problems.. so not sure how much help he will be...

he is in a school right now away from home.. and his wife is in town this holiday weekend.. so he might not get on till early next week.. and doesnt have access to his email either..
shoot his wife an email.. so atleast when she returns home.. she can tell chris..
[email protected]

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:55 AM

The dealer said they won't warenty the re-build since i wheel it and the guy accused me of ripping through fields and things like that. If he trys that angle i'll remind him of tread lightly (doesn't jeep support and sponsor that) and that eagle scouts don't do such things as that. Does any one know if i had it re-built and one dealer will another do the warenty work or do i have to take it to the same sh!t hole dealer? If it's the re-build that has gone wrong jeep better warenty it since 4500 miles on a rebuilt tranny and it going bad again just isn't right, even if i had 35's and wheel the rubicon and tellico every weekend. It might just be over filled and mav_750 is comming over today to change my tranny fluid (he's ast certified so they can't blame me for fing up the tranny) and maybe that will fix it because it might just be overfilled. If jeep won't pay for the work i'd get the jeep towed to another repair shop and get the work done cheeper and you won't have to worry about the dam dealer.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 07:22 AM
farfrum

Thank's, I was aware Elusive was in school, I was hoping he would log in on the weekend.
I have also had my jeep pop out of first gear while parked on a hill. It only happened one time, and it was my girlfriend driving. She had originally stopped and left it in neutral, I put it in 1st from the passanger seat while she had the clutch in. I can't be sure whether I actually had it in 1st or possibly 3rd, so I have never followed up on it. The jeep ended up rolling forward and hitting her grandfathers car. Thank's to plastic bumpers, it popped right back out.
Cheer's
Rob

2000 TJ, D44 Trac-loc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode