HUGE ZJ RECALL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

HUGE ZJ RECALL

I'm posting this to the SWB forum as well because I know some of you have Grand Cherokees.

Everyone should know that Jeep is recalling 1.5 million Grand Cherokees due to a problem with the gear selector popping out of Park into Reverse with no operator interaction. This affect all Grand Cherokees from 1993-1998 with the automatic transmission.

From what I understand, the problem is caused when the vehicle is idling or the key is in the Run or Acc position. There have been over 600 complaints, two hundred injuries and five deaths from this problem.

Jeep will be sending out recall notices to owners of Grand Cherokees. Until yours is fixed, please please please make sure the gear selector is locked in Park when you leave the vehicle idling! Wiggle the selector and verify that it does not pop out. Using the e-brake is a good idea too.

I have no other information on this problem, I had heard about it somewhere last week and my local news channel ran a huge story on it last night. If anyone has other info, please post it here!

I'm boycotting sigs. If ya wanna see what I have, check my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HUGE ZJ RECALL

"There have been over 600 complaints, two hundred injuries and five deaths from this problem."

On the news last night they said 56 "incidents" reported, but no one injured or killed. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that the media sometimes takes "Artistic license" and embelishes on some stories. Check you GC's out though!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HUGE ZJ RECALL

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We have a '97 ZJ with the automatic, and it's never had any indication that It wanted to jump in or out of any spot on the quadrant. Anyone who dismounts from a slush box-equipped vehicle without setting the brake is a fool[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. I've HAD trannys apart and I've SEEN the "Park" pawl, and I have long ago decided that MY LIFE wasn't going to depend on a silly piece of hardened steel.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] There IS NO substitute for common sense.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Of course Jacoby & Meyers; the blood-sucking parasitic ambulance-chasers; would dispute that and want you blame whatever happens on "Defective Products".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode