Best place to buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best place to buy?

After only 77,000 miles the AX-5 in my 1995 has died. I bought the Jeep used and the tranny gave me no signs of trouble before it died. It's completely trashed, and the parts alone for it would be over $1000. I would rather spend a little more and get a new one. Do you know the best place to get a new/completely rebuilt trans? The dealer wants over $2500 for one. I'm also going to replace the clutch while it's apart and can you guys point me there also. I'm using this Jeep as a daily driver and I'm planning on driving it forever. I'vs ALWAYS gotten good advice here and thanks ahead of time for your replies.
GB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:44 AM

Re: Best place to buy?

Jasper http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html is probably the best place for remanufactured items. Their price is high but so is their quality.
You could search on the web for re-man suppliers... many exist across (not acrosst) the US. Most big names should have good quality, but still - IMHO Jasper is best quality. http://www.google.com is a good search engine. I did a search on "remanufactured transmission" and found 5 companies on the first page with over 17k matches.
Obviously I know very little about the actual question you asked, sorry. Good luck with your quest. Seems like to me if you research first (like you are) and spend second... chances of success are better.
..."if at first you don't succeed... keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed" - Curly Joe
Also check out e-bay. Used transmissions are almost always up for auction. Sometimes re-man suppliers auction their transmissions too.
For even more fun check out Advance Adapters http://www.advanceadapters.com/ Don't they offer a kit to swap a World Class T-4/5 in place of your AX-5? Much stronger transmission.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do you have a 2.5l or 4.0?? If you have a 2.5 the only tranny that you can get is either an auto that is on a 2.5 or another 5 spd, advance adapters only makes an adapter for the NV4500, and that is where I went. it literaly is 2500$ for the tranny and stuff, but its nice.

If you ahve a 4.0 I reccomend that you go for advanc adapters t5 transplant.

My tranny imploded after 70,000 miles with no signs.

A buddie went to aamco transmissions and they got him a rebuilt one for about 1500, but it had a year warr. and around the 5 year mark it imploded again..

IMO don't waste your money on any ax trannys.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the ax5 that came with the 2.5L. Jasper no longer handles this model. Thanks for the help, but I'm still out of luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:29 PM

I'd say see if you can swap in a nv4500, i'm not sure what the differances betweent he 2.5 and the 4.0 are but they can't be that different.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the bellhousing is completely different. I swapped the nv4500 to my 2.5. I have a 304 I'm putting in and the bolt pattern is way different

JR

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Veteran

I just thought I'd throw this in because I was looking at my new Quadratec master catalog today and they have what they say is a complete kit including a new NV4500, bell housing, x-fer case adapter, crossmember mount, clutch linkage, and necessary x-fer case linkage components to swap in the Nv4500 for an AX5. Cost $2699.95

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw that too. good deal I'd say. how did you like the belly on the front??!! I think they will get flamed for that.

JR

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Veteran

That was the whole reason I looked at the catalog.

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode