Battery Disconnect 2 Batteries - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Battery Disconnect 2 Batteries

So, I had a great idea. I have 2 batteries connected via a solenoid which I can connect/disconnect at will via a in-cab switch. I wanted to add a battery disconnect to the primary battery so I can take it out of the loop when/if I need to. I saw TR's other post w/ the battery disconnect on the ground (Vs Positive) and when I picked up a dial battery disconnect, it only fits the ground (makes sense).

However, my solenoid connects the positives of the two batteries, not the grounds. The Grounds are connected together permanently. I was wondering, If I disable the ground to the primary, though the secondary ground is still active, and the primary positive is still active will that Mess up the batteries? Will a current go from the Positive of one battery to the negative of another? I assume so.
Here is a pic of the solenoid setup:

Here is my (Very quick diagram, yes it is the worst I have seen on this board, but I could not find my Visio CD)

Pri. Battery = Primary, on all the time, the one I want to disable via the manual disconnect, itís Positive is permanent.
Sec Battery= secondary, itís Ground is permanent, itís positive is switched.
The Yellow thing represents where I want to put the manual disconnect.

Is there a better way? Should I set a manual disconnect to the Positive side of the primary?

I know this is pretty confusing, but I have faith in the electrical gurus to set me straight.

TIA!!!!

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:39 PM

Re: Battery Disconnect 2 Batteries

Look for your yellow boxes....

So many cats, so few recipes...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-687907-DualBattOpt.gif (7.4 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Duh, thanks TR [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]! I will take curtain #1.

It is amazing, when you are working with the tools of the problem, you can not see the simple path (Solution).

I guess that is why I am a Computer Geek, we make things too complicated (even for ourselves [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:33 AM

No Problem man.
I work in (believe this or not...) MS Paint most of the time for these simple drawings.
Nearly every computer in the world has it, it's fast, easy, and if you save a page with component parts, you can cut and paste the components in, and the connections are a snap after that...

I use Ifranview to convet to just about anything I want after I'm done.
I choose .gif here because the drawings compress smaller and load faster.
http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/
It's freeware, and I've never seen ANY of the costly graphics programs that can do what this little, fast program can.

Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey TR, I just thought of something, taking a good look at your diagram again. I want to be able to disable the primary manually and allow the seconday to be switchable. Your diagram showed how to disable the ground, but I still have the same issue. If the positive of one battery is hooked-up, and the negative of another is hooked up, current should flow (And I don't want that of course.)
Here is your diagram showing the positive hookup I have.

TIA!

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Am I correct in assuming the positive from one battery, can flow to the negative on another, or just off my rocker? Sometimes it doesn't help sleeping in science class [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:00 PM

You must have been asleep...
Positive to negative of another battery will double the voltage meaning 24 volts.

If you turn off the ground of EITHER battery, it will not charge, discharge*, or contribute to any of the vehicles needs, No matter if the positive is hooked up or not.

It takes both ends of the battery hooked up to make it do anything.
If you don't have the ground in the circuit, that battery is as isolated from that circuit as if you had taken it out of the vehicle.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i can't help it, it's one of those nights but you forgot option four. i can't draw like ya'll so bare with me. take option one and just tie the negs together to ground.on battery one install your disconnect between battery post and solinoid, your system feed would be at this same solinoid post. this way you would normaly run off of battery one,if you need the amps kick in the solinoid,you got a problem with battery one (shorted cell,blew up)you could throw disconnect and energize solinoid and off you go. to isolate everything just throw disconnect switch(unless post are stuck in solinoid). p.s you'll have to jump the solinoid to get battery 2 to run if you disconnect battery one.but hey you could run two by itself if you had to this way. just another idea. and yes i know this is not dealing with the parameters that were first posted how come the dissconnect only works on the neg. side? i've seen more connected on the pos. side.

taco
78cj7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 02:42 AM

Maybe you should go back and look at his original drawing...
He wants to use his own positive set up, so the positive terminals are carved in stone...
the three options cover all three possible arrangements for the negative terminals using one cut off switch...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry Guys, a little miscommunication here. The + are not carved in stone, just that I like the disconnect equipment that connects to the post, then has it's own post after the switch (Wheel) becouse they won't flop around as the wire-only disconnects do. Well, the post disconnect is made for the - and won't fit the + (at least without enough surface area touching the post [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) plus I always heard battery disconnect was better on the - side anyway.

Option 4 was my original plan for exactly the same reasons but the equipment was not there. I have since decided to keep looking for a disconnect that will fit the + securely, if you are going to do something, do it right, or not at all.

Thanks alot TR and Camo_trash for your help!!

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode