OT, Bone Head Moves You Have Made... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

OT, Bone Head Moves You Have Made...

I've seen some pretty strange problems come to light on the BBS...

BUT...
I bought a race car once, real cheap at the track, the owner just didn't want to deal with the 'mystery' problem anymore,
(I'm REAL good a finding 'Mystery' problems...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img])
Every time you launched (left the starting line hard) the engine would die, but would come back in when the car's nose started to settle out.

I bought the car on the spot!
Supreme in my ability to find, and eliminate the problem in record time and at very little expense, and I bragged to all my friends about those abilities and aspirations!
<hr>
After 7 months with the problem...

I replace the entire fuel system and ignition system chasing the problem, all of the electrical except for a commonly used power terminal buss under the dash that the previous owner had installed, and I was feeling the frustration the previous owner had felt...

....When a very small buddy of mine was over one day, and crawled under the dash for something or another (a place I could never hope to fit),
<hr>
And then came the infamous words, "What's this wire supposed to connect to?. It's making a burn mark on the back of the radio!"
Then the immortal words of ignorance in it's purist form slipped from my lips, "What wire?", completely involuntarily...

The reply was, 'The one that's been welding it's self to the back of the radio."

As the weak sizzle of an idea started to form in my brain,
mental gears grinding and the smell of burning rust in the room where the I.Q. is supposed to be kept,
I heard myself say, "You had best do something with that before it shorts out the ignition system, I have it wired under there..."

The faint light that had started to go on in my brain when he first spoke about the wire 'Welding' it's self to the back of the radio started to get brighter, and although I hadn't quite put 2 + 2 together, there was a light at the end of the tunnel....!

The light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be an on coming freight train at 200 mph when my friend said, "Didn't you say this thing died when you launched it? This wire is connected to the bus where the ignition is wired."

An explosion went off in my brain as the 'Light' (on the front of a train) collided with my Ego!

My response was, "{censored, censored, saw it done in a brothel in Thailand, censored, unprintable, censored, physically impossible, censored, in really poor taste, censored!}, and your momma too you chunk of chevy junk!!!!!!!!!!!"

Epilog:
I never did find the Snap-On ratchet and socket I whipped across the parking lot and into the soybean field,
my friends still haven't let me live the episode down,
and the car ran flawlessly on the next trip to the track, but broke the #8 rod when I nailed the nitrous button showing off on a cruse night in front of about every girl I knew....

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: OT, Bone Head Moves You Have Made...

Biggest bonehead move I made had to be when I blue a yoke on the rear diff on my '78 F-150. It was a nice lifted truck with a properly built flatbed (I used metal instead of 2x4s and plywood--it was a sweet truck and girls liked it) and a 300 I-6. I know I've told this one before, but trying to impress a pair of girls I dropped it into 4 low (hubs out) and wrapped it up and dropped the clutch in second. I was intending to get both back tires to light up and do a little bit of a smoke show. I figured I needed the low range as with the 3.50 gears and the I6, I couldn't do it in high range. Did I mention I was running 32x11.50s and a locked rearend? Well, the input yoke on the rear end did an impression of Iraqi tank and exploded. Yeah, I looked cool all right. I got out, removed the rear driveline, locked the front hubs and had a front wheel drive pickup for a while....I've decided since then (14 years ago) not to show off for girls anymore--besides my wife doesn't like it!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:59 PM

One day I was driving to the office... I saw a silver CJ parked with a For Sale sign on it.

The rest, as they say, is history. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:59 PM

OK Aaron I'm sure you have heard this one before but........
When I was a youngun I had a beautiful 66 Fairlane 500 convertable. Red on red with a white top and sharp as hell. It had a 289 in it and I was wanting to make a fast car. Well I toyed with the idea of a big block but thought it would be just too much cash in the long run. (I had built tons of SB chevys that were plenty fast) So out comes the engine and in goes every speed part and trick that a young kid that knows how to read (10 ) hot rod mags a month can buy. Several thousands later and another 1200 in the heads and it was ready to go back in. Now wait a minute......I need a real trans in it. So now tear out the FMX and build a BEEFY C6.......big stall converter.....more $$$$$$$$$$$. Then, man........the 8" rearend will never live with this setup. So in goes a 9", nodgular pig, 5:38's and a detroit.(CHA CHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) So I finally get the thing set down in and fired up. MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD. Finally get the thing broken in and dialed in and spot on. At this point I realised that something was wrong. Big heavy car with small high rpm HP was not a good combo. This thing would rev to almost 10 grand but would not pull a load of groceries over a dead squirrel under 4000 rpm. What a pig. I could whip this car with my (generic rebuild parts and mild cam )chevelle any day of the week.
Morrel of the story is that not everything this 17 year old kid read was the right thing to do. All I did was ruin a GREAT cruiser. So out came the 289 and in went a mild 390. Life was good again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (boy I sure saved money didn't I?) Thats where I learned about what torque did.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
At least on the bright side the 289 went in my 81 capri with a toploader and gears. A light car and a stick was exactly what that little screaming engine wanted. At least untill the rearend exploded.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
You gotta love stupid kids with cars (or jeeps) and money in their pockets...............man I miss living at home.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:15 PM

Ok, it's not my bonehead move, but it was funny nevertheless. A buddy of mine says he's taking his car to the crusher. They will give him $100 regardless of the condition of the car. He had put a lot of parts into it. So I told him to bring it over to my place and let the wrecker take it from there. I went to work pulling off everything I thought might come in use down the line. I cut off the wiring harness at the firewall with a hack saw, drained and removed his rad, then noticed a bolt missing from the motor mount and grind marks on one front axle. I said Earl, why are you getting rid of this car? He said the tranny was shot, making this grinding noise that only got worse. I told him a bolt was missing from a motor mount, the motor was hanging down and causing an axle shaft to rub on parts nearby.

He asked me for all the parts back, and tried to reassemble the car! Had I not butchered his wiring system he might have got it running again. Not only did I lose my ill gotten parts, but the car eventually went to the crusher anyhow, as he could never get it back together.

Ok, I'm not perfect, I've backed over my garage creeper more times than I can remember, backed my girlfriends new car into my jeep, got a good bead going with the welder and continued to weld both halves of something that were not supposed to be connected together, chopped a water line in two with a machete at night, thinking it was a branch, .... and on and on....

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My bonehead move was not too bad but I still felt like a dumba$$ doing it. A few years ago, I had the jeep in the shop fixing one of the 6493 things that needed to be fixed. This day I noticed my screen door handle on the hard door was about to fall off. One screw was missing the other was about to fall out. I found a screw and ground it down to "fit". About 5 min after I was finished, I was standing by the jeep with the door open and the glass blew out, all over me. At first I thought it was one of my dickhead friends throwing something at me and hit my window instead. No one in the place, strange! After I got to looking, I noticed the screw was right against window track pinching it shut. The next day I learned how to install my new $150 window.

79CJ7/304/T-18/twinstick clocked D300/D44s/Detroits/35s/Rancho 9000s/Xenon/5"lift/winch/Optima/Durabak/Supertop ect. ect. and a really cool SWB BBS sticker!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mmmm.. this isnt hard to think of..

coming off of the trail.. and heading back to the camp site.. (cant remember if it was the first time out in the jeep or not).. but.. i was wrenching on the transfer case lever.. and its sloppy U shaped pattern.. for about 10 minutes.. which equals just long enough to rub the skin off of the palm of your hand.. (since it was just a piece of steel welded to it)... and i couldnt get the damn thing to go into 2wd..
when off in the distance i hear the infamous words.. "hey.. you unlock the hubs?".. i reply with.. "ya.. ".. knowing damn well i didnt.. so get out after said yeller turns around.. cursing under my breath.. and unlock the hubs.. but not before they saw me.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]..

then.. there was this time at the weld shop..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:49 PM

Mine aren't very exciting..

I wanted to paint my jeep(this incident is documented on the board!)
One of my buddies gave me some paint for free.
Well we decide to paint it..and damn!This paint doesn't seem to stick well.
After a few days I found out the problem was I had been given laquer paint.
I I decided to use paint stripper to get all of the paint off..figuring this will be easy and I'll save money by using laquer as I am very very cheap.
I had a perfectly nice,straight body.
I found out I had about 6 or more colors underneath..and a good amount of bondo.
I think it was at least 6 months before I got it painted.
I also screwed up the nice bodywork someone else did..I could have just sanded the laquer,cleaned then painted.It wouldn't have probably taken more than a week to prep.
I end up spending more than twice as much as a gallon of paint and thinner that I was too cheap/broke at the time to buy.The money didn't kill me..the hours and hours of prepping did

And then there was this one time when I was taking off my gas tank and left my light on the ground...

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think my bonehead move would be building the jeep and continuing to put money in it. Right now my truck is asking for a couple small parts (brakes, K&N, flowmasters) but my Jeep keeps asking for more parts. My truck is getting mad at me for spending so much on the Jeep. BTW if anyone is interested in a built '80 CJ7 in Ohio let me know (we had another fight today).

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
1998 Chevy K1500
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had to categorize mine monthly.
and rent file space.
keep on truckin.....

when in doubt.........
empty the magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode