I give up update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I give up update

Just a quick and dirty update for those who're interested. I took it to another shop on Monday, this one is the only one I've not felt abused after dealing with. (I've been there once, normally I never use a real shop)

They've found ... nothing, can't duplicate the problem. They did feel that the thermostat was "lazy" and replaced it, so that's now about 6 or 8 thermostats, can they all be lazy?

more to come

tr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I give up update

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] OK.......how about this? When I FIRST took our 304 apart, what I noticed was that the AMC engineer had provided WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much water by-pass on the engine. SO MUCH SO that it is possible to just circulate water in the block and not even USE the radiator.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] On the SNOJEEP we use the by-pass under the thermostat to feed the heater loop and we return THAT line to the water pump. We PLUG the other small inlet to the water pump, and PLUG the outlet in the rear of the RH cylinder head.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Here is what you can do.......put a RESTRICTOR washer in that by-pass hose that goes from the thermo housing to the water pump. And I mean RESTRICT that sucker.....a 7/16" hole at the very most, 3/8" even better! See if that does it. If it works for you, you MUST keep your Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And another thing.....make sure that the thermostat has a small hole in it so the engine can "burp" better.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:42 AM

CJDave, i'm getting ready to put the bypass hose and heater hoses on my AMC 360 in a CJ-8 and here is my plan: drill and tap (fine thread) the bypas nipple in the thermostat housing so i can thread a "plug" into it with a small (approx. 3/16") hole in the center to allow a little flow. then run a heater hose from the water pump to the lower heater core fitting and from the upper heater core fitting to the right-rear side of the edelbrock intake manifold. does this make sense to you? any suggestions? i was kind of confused by you statement about plugging the outlet int eh RH cylinder head. do you mean intake manifold? thanks for any info! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah......I meant the intake manifold water outlet.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] We considered doing exactly what you are doing, but decided instead to take the heater flow FROM the by-pass nipple with a hose 90 and go to the heater and then plug the intake manifold water port.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We felt that the engine would heat up more evenly that way, with each cylinder bank flowing forward to the thermostat housing and THEN on to the heater(s); we have a floor heater AND the dash heater in the SNOJEEP.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Be sure to drill your thermostat with a small hole no larger than the lead in a wooden pencil. That way the engine can "burp" better.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Official Historian

Hey, Dave, I'm not quite following. You connect the hose to the heater from the thermostat housing. Do you then feed back to the water pump at the top port or the side port by the alternator? Also, how did you block the port in the water pump you didn't use?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It doesn't matter which port on the water pump you return to, either one will do. We used the top port because we needed more space for a future conversion to a Leece-Neville alternator. We carefully tapped the hole and threaded a brass bolt into it.

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:40 PM

Did you ever get that shroud? ken

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDave, Did that, just as you described last fall, except for the hole in the thermostat, still went to the high peg when around 5F outside. Otherwise it seemed to be working ok, at least as well as it was before with daily highs in the 35-40F range and lows in the 20F range. The very cold temp deal is the most aggrevating now since it's so illogical, and so completely new. If I had hair I'd be tearing it out!

I'm picking it up from the "pros" today, we'll see

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I picked up the steaming pile of orange from the "pros" last night. They found nothing wrong, coolant was "murkey" (couple days old but did have the remnants of a can of stop leak in it) the thermostat was lazy so they replaced it with a oem from Jeep (went back to 195F for the first time since 75) and they retarded the timing a couple degrees to about 12b (at 6-7000 ft, I usually run it at about 14) and they thought the gauge was off 10 degrees or so. On the drive home it was now a struggle to run over about 50 mph, it pinged like a Bxxxx and ran 210-220 on the gauge. Soooooo, I guess I'll not consider anything fixed, retune it, put some ethyl in it and ????? Thinking of a couple possibilities; 1) donate it to my local association (SWFWDA) to raffle off for the land use fund, 2) sell it for whatever I can get, 3) part it out, 4) put the old motor back in and sell the new one and any of the above, 5) park it, drop the insurance and use it as an object lesson if I am ever stupid enough to try to build anything else again. Or 6)???????

Thanks for listening to my whining guys, Tim, looks like I'm riding again this summer.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Official Historian

I know this is an old thread, but a conversation with my father-in-law reminded me of your problem. He was having a problem with a chevy v8 overheating and it turned out to be head gaskets with too small an opening for the coolant. I think you said you've had problems with this engine since you installed it, so an idea is to make sure the head gaskets are installed correctly and the coolant passages aren't blocked or restricted between the block and head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode