Dog in a Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Dog in a Jeep

I know there must be others out there who have dogs that just love to ride in Jeeps. Mine does. However it is really high for him to jump into. Do any of you have any fixs for this, do you have any creative ways of helping your dogs get in? Any of these Ideas protable?

My dog likes to ride so much that he is the main reason for me taking my back seat out. (he is a large dog and the seat wasn't really working) He loves it now, he has lots of room.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"It takes a special type of person to drink a cup of coffee in a jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: Dog in a Jeep

Unfortunately, Everything I've seen to help get dogs in and out of a vehicle won't fit well in a jeep (especcially with the dog). My dog is the same way, but fortunately he's able to jump high enough to get in. (I've seen him jump over the closed tailgate of a full-size truck to get in. Otherwise I just give him a "boost" sometimes if there isn't room for him to get a run at it.

Hopefully someone has a better solution though I know there are a lot of us who could benefit (i've even thought about building something to fit in the tailgate opening like a miniature ladder or ramp or something, but then space is such a consideration.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Bald, just kind of wondering, you have a 4 in lift and 33s. Your jeep is up there, What kind of dog do you have. That is quite a jump, and how old is he/she?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:35 PM

Lift him up, thats wehat we do w/ our Golden. HE likes to sit in the front passanger seat and do the ear flap thing goin down the road.

Sorry, my YJ is a 90, not an 87.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:53 PM

Easy answer: back into a ditch and drop the tailgate!

I had a wolf/husky mix for a dozen years. He loved to go in the truck with me (this was before Alaska passed a law requiring a kennel for dogs in the back of trucks). When he got older I just backed into the ditch to let him in. Worked great! He took his last ride with me in a lifted '77 Chevy C20. I had to lift him in as his legs didn't work anymore. He sure seemed to enjoy that last ride to the fullest though! An off road dog to the end!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:41 PM
MNT
Addict

That's a tough trip to make. Both my dogs can make into mine, but like someone else said if there is too much stuff I give them a little help. My one dog likes to hang over the side with his paw almost resting on the rear flare, eyes almost shut, ears flapping like crazy. I keep the seat out and keep leashed to a couple feet of tie down hooked to the seat posts. They really like to chase cats and squirrels and I am afraid of them jumping out while I'm driving down the street.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] mnt [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the tie down is a good Idea. I had a freind who had a rotie that was riding in the bed of a pickup and for what seemed like no reason he just jumped out. The dog lived to tell the tail but my friend had a lot of payment due to the vet

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:33 PM

I work at a petstore and they have ramps.
If you look at the box,some people use them for their boats,some to let their dog get in their car..and I believe to get up on the couch.
I believe we sell them for about $60
If it were me, I would just make a ramp..but then there are issues about getting the ramp inside your vehicle

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 13yr old dog has the same problem getting in and out of my Jeep, even if it is only lifted 2.5inches w/31's. My solution was to steal a milk crate,(a square,box like, plastic thing that milk gets shipped to stores in around here). Flip it over, and let him use it as a step, it is sturdy enough to support his 108lb butt, it doesn't take up much room in the Jeep, and you can stick your foot in one of it's handles to steady it for your dog. I love my geriatric german shepard/malamute, and I hope he will wheel with me a good long time yet.
A Jeep,A dog, and a man. what more does a girl need?
Amy

Should be ZukiJeepGirl
'95 YJ Sahara, 2.5 superlift 31" tires, K&N air
'86 Samurai, little bit of mods
'97 TJ Sport, My Fiance's Jeep, too many mods to list
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

EASY......and simple.
and more of us will deal with it as they get older.
mine would put their front paws on the tailgate (or floor),
and i would grab their rear paws and lift the south end up.
they knew how to to do it.
WHEELIN DOGS.. .RULE!!!!!!.....

when in doubt.........
empty the magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode