Jeep dies on sudden movement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep dies on sudden movement

I was out pre-running some of the UROC course last night (no, I'm not a competitor) and my CJ has come down with a nasty problem. Whenever I bumped it hard (bounce, drop, etc), the engine would die. To start it, I had to firewall the gas pedal and crank it several seconds. It would finally start sputtering, blow a lot of black crud out the exhaust, then run fine. It seemed to do it most often when pointed skyward (no it's not injected).
Any ideas? Float to high, high fuel pressure, anything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:47 PM
jeepfiend

Re: Jeep dies on sudden movement

It sounds to me like you are having the usual problems with steep angles and carbs. What carb do you have? I have the one barrel, and unless I keep the pedal constant and don't try to return to an idle I can keep it running, but as soon as I let off it loads up, probably from the gas running out of the float bowl. You might try lowering the float a little and see if that helps. The fact that it occurs when you jar it may be from the gas getting sloshed when the Jeep bounces hard.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The fuel sloshing out of the bowl is the direction I'm thinking. The mystery is that it has never happened before. I run the stock carb and getting vertical has always been a problem, but this happens on small inclines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I'm thinking the infamous loose ground problem.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:41 PM

i would think float as well. if you have the hollow brass float, it may have developed a hole in it. this allows fuel to sit inside the float itself, thus changing the level in the bowl. it would then take more fuel in the bowl to raise it to the cutoff point. i dont know if the other types of floats maybe get pourous over time, and soak up fuel, giving the same result. when you check the float, make sure you take it out and you should be able to tell by how much it weighs whether thats your problem or not.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No ground problem...just float. A few things to check.
First..Pull the top of the carb off. It's not too hard..and you can do it on the vehicle.
1. Check the float level. The gas level should be apx 1/4" from the top of the bowl...basically, the float should be about level. When I am going up into the mountains, I will sometimes drop my float level down just a fraction to reduce the flooding problem on hills.
2. Make sure that you have the U-shaped shield around the needle valve. It helps reduce the sloshing (sp?).
3. Make sure you have the right fuel filter installed. It contains a bypass (the second smaller outlet tube) to rout the unused gas back to the tank. If you don't have it, then you will have more pressure on the needle and seat than it is designed for.

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Filter's right, but you've given me some good things to check. Thanks.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:15 PM

You might want to read TR's post here.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode