Waterproofing Distributor caps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Waterproofing Distributor caps

The day started innocent enough...I was planning on getting my taxes done, and on the way to H&R Block I decided my Jeep was just to clean. So, I went to my favorite mud hole nearby, and I blasted through it....apparently too fast, as the straight six started complaining immediately. Luckily, I always carry a can of WD-40, so I proceeded to take the distributor cap off...and ended up breaking both bolts off that hold the darn thing on!! I guess 6 years of mud and salt water does wonders for hardware. What started off as a slow day ended up with me taking out the distributor to drill out the broken bolts, retapping the holes, getting a new cap, modifying said cap with bigger bolts, etc, etc. Oh yeah, I also ripped apart the spark plug wires trying to get the darn things off. I never did get my taxes done today. So what's the best way to waterproof the distributor? It's got a bead of RTV in the cap, hopefully it won't happen again for a while....

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Waterproofing Distributor caps

I've used a product called Mortite. Hardware store stuff. It is a caulk in rope form. It is like a thick string. Mold it around the seam between cap and distributor or with the 2 piece big caps between the cap and the adapter plus the adapter and dist. Now sometimes dist. caps have a vent. I would not plug this up, it is usually on the top anyway, unless you are going to completely submerge the engine. I think at one time Jeeps had a totally waterproof ignition system. My dad told me in WWII they would put long pipes on the intake and exhaust to drive them off of transports. I guess they were in like 6 feet of water or so.

Huh?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:08 AM

Dow Corning makes a silicone grease that's as thick as axel grease. It's great stuff for lots of things, and waterproofing the ignition system is one. I got it from a lubricants supplier. I think it comes in a caulking gun tube, but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't remember the product number; it's been 15 years since I've had to buy some. If anybody finds it, please post the number.

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mortite....maybe I should try some on my girlfriend!! Just kidding, I'll swing by the local Home Depot and see if they have some. This is the second time it's happened, I don't want a third. Thanks!
Jon

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 12:53 PM

What do you mean this 50 wt. racing oil stings woman! This stuff is 100% non-detergent, top quality lubricant!
(guess I shouldn't go there...)
<hr>
You have a '91, so you are pretty much stuck with the factory cap setup...
Sorry...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Where is your signature line TR? I don't think changing cats to liberals would offend anybody on this board.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Oh and BTW, I got your cats right here. I really mean that. I live in a townhouse where the streets are at what is considered the back. I'm in the last row and there is a thickly wooded field at my front door, I could stand on my balcony naked and nobody would see.

Anyway, we are overrun with feral cats. There is an, shall I say, extended family of Chinese that own and work at the Chinese restaurant less than a block away. They got fined and shut down for a while when the health department caught them serving cat.

I thought about that every time I read your sig line. No, I won't go ask for recipes, I expect they may still be a little tender about it. (That's the people tender, not the cats)

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 02:48 PM

OK.........[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ANYWAY, Jon, there was a post I did on this issue about 1 or 2 months ago. Somebody gave me a link that had this great big writeup on waterproofing the whole engine. You could do a search for it, or Ill see if I can locate it.

=-Ben

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 02:57 PM

Ok, I found it in a post that was just about 2 months ago, to the day..

Here is the link
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/fullsiz...waterproof.htm

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awesome!! Thanks for the site, Ben! I tried to put the Mortite on my girlfriend, but she threatened to kick my @$$ if I got near her with it! BTW, I got a new Borla exhaust manifold in the mail today, since my old one is almost cracked in half. It sounds pretty rough when it's running. I wonder how many bolts I'll break off trying to get the old one off....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode