How high to clear 38" meat (SOA YJ) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Frank360

How high to clear 38\" meat (SOA YJ)

A friend wants to buy my 33 BFG, so now, damn [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have to find bigger tires [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!! I want to go at 38, I read people that have 44" with dana44 front ends and powerplant way more efficient than mine, so I figure I should be safe from misfortune with 38 and a welded rear... But I figure it's gonna be tight fit, is a little body lift easy and inexpensive, or is it another can of worms? How high should I go, will I need to lengthen the steering rod?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How high to clear 38\" meat (SOA YJ)

A body lift is easy. But you should be able to clear the 38's with 4" springs SOA. You could possibly clear them with 2.5" springs SOA, but with fender trimming. Either way, you will most likely have to trim some. I have a CJ-5 SOA w/ 2.5" springs, flat fendered front and trimmed rear fenders and I have plenty of room for my 36's, I'm sure I could run 38's.

Click for info: "1st Annual Anniversary Trail Ride Weekend" in Gulf Breeze, Florida!
http://www.extremetrails.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Frank360

Well, you're right, it will fit.. But I like to still have some wheel travel... I finally used my brain and did a search on the board, and s#it there is alot of things to take into account... Rad, clutch link, and steering, fuel lines, not sure about the filler pipe if the gas tank in on the frame or not... stuff to look at nonetheless... it is a can of worms afterall... but it looks interesting to do.. I'm nervous that the jeep would end up looking stupid with 3" of lift, I already have to swing to get in it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Veteran

A YJ SOA with 2.5 inch lift springs and a set of TJ fender flares and you won't hit at max articulation. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought!
Chrome don't get ya Home!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:03 PM

Do you really want 38's? Do you run a lot of mud? that is really the only benefit I can see of 38's.. This guy at work runs 38's on his TJ, and it looks like a piece of crap. He bought the Skyjacker 10 inch kit, and all his junk that bolts on looks like crap. Theres a lot of stuff to think about, I think you would have funner with 35's if you are into trails and such.. But, that is just my opinion. Each application is different.
Have fun..
By the way, a 2 inch body lift, 4 inch springs, and a shackle lift will fit 35's no prob, then you dont have to worry about SOA.. or you could stick a SOA on the axle with stock springs and a body lift and fit them.

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Frank360

Ok, just for starters, my YJ (remember, square headlights) is already SOA, and I have 33" on it... see below for proof... also for the proof that I like mud alot, as all type of terrain, see here http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=offroadjeepshort&Number =594863&Search=true&Forum=offroadjeepshort&Words=d eer season&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts

This one should be even more convincing http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...view=&sb=&vc=1

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Here is a pic. 36's with the 2 extra inches from tj flares you will be allset.

Jeeps are Built not Bought!
Chrome don't get ya Home!
Go Big OR Go Home!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-686396-Flex.jpg (58.8 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode