Driveline E-brake setups - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Driveline E-brake setups

I saw a post by BigHG about his 14 bolt project and he mentioned going to a driveline E-brake system. I need to do this also. Anyone know the procedure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Driveline E-brake setups

I'd love to use one of HADLs setups, but there are very few things I'll do to the Commando to triple it's value! I'm looking at using a manual disc setup from a motorcycle (x2 calipers), but it's still in the R&D stage.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:18 AM

call up Jesse at High Angle Driveline and pay him $289, plus incidentals. Not sure if you have to use his flange or not.

http://www.highangledriveline.com

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:28 AM

I was looking at the kit from High Angle. You have to have his flange for the disc to mount. I have a Tom Woods Shaft in mine, so the expense was going to be high for the entire setup (disc setup and driveshaft with xfercase flange). In thier defense, they were more than able to work with me as far as trades for my shaft and what not, but it was just out of reach for us in the wallet.
http://highangledriveline.com/

TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Nickmil

Hey Richard,
Do you still have the model 20 transfer in your Jeep? If so you are in luck. Early model 20's in some pickup and wagoneers used a drum brake park brake setup on the model 20. R&P has a couple of these (used) in stock and are located locally for you. They are located just outside Oregon City, OR. Their # is 503-557-8911 and business hours are 6-9 pm monday thru thursday and 9am-5pm saturdays. I don't know what they get for a setup but it could be an easy way to go. They also build T-18's, dana 44 and 60 high and low pinion axles, high knuckle steering, heavy duty tie rods, and a host of other stuff. Give Rich or Paul a call. They are good guys to deal with. Nickmil.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all that have replied to my question, and to Nickmil yes I am still running a D20 and have seen the setup your refering to, it may be possible, but I`ve only seen those systems used on the older D18`s. Unfortunatly I`ll have to pass on R&P though. They rebuilt my T18/D20 and did a good job for a fair cost, so I went back and had them build me a high pinion D44 rear. The rear end was fine till both tube`s started leaking at the pumpkin. I took the axel back out to them so they could re-seal the tube`s, put it back in and three day`s later it was leaking again. I drove back out and talked to Rich about it again and he gave me a cock and bull story how they have had an ongoing problem of sealing the axel tube`s when they re-install them in the pumkin. He sure never mentioned that problem to me when he was taking my $1500.00 dollars to do the job. then he had the gaul to look me in the eye and say, and I quote," the H.P. 44 I built for badbee leaks too,you`ll just have to live with it." My response to him was that I`m sure his opinion would be different had he paid someone $1500 bucks for a leaky rearend, and I walked out very upset. they refuse to do anything to make this right. The real crappy part about this is I talked with Lee of Woody`s offroad in Vancouver, Wash. and he think`s that they ruined the pumkin pressing the tube`s back in. Bottom line, make sure your wearing your steel underwear when you walk into R&P, or you could end up violated like I was. Thank`s again for the idea. Sorry for the rant but this situation is still boiling my blood.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 04:58 AM

How did they "ruin the pumpkin"?
Why not just weld up the tubes at the housing and call it a done deal?

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:25 AM
Nickmil

Hey Richard,
I'm sorry about your bad experience. I've been dealing with them for quite a few years and have had good experiences with them for parts and service. I've heard stories like this about Woody's too and they've always treated me fair. I use R&P because they are local to me, are open saturdays, and have allowed me to make payments on stuff when I was low on funds.I don't know of any other shops that do that. Regardless where you get your parts from, the setup I was talking about was used on the 20 also like I said. You have to use the output housing also as it is cast and machined to accept the parking brake setup. If you prefer Woody's, then check and see if Lee has one laying around. I don't know what he would charge but I'm sure he has one. Seems like they have one of everything laying around. You might also check with Leonard Trudel of Leonard's Off Road. He is out in Hillsboro and may be able to find you one. Good luck. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode