Drive shaft questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drive shaft questions?

I will start by saying I have never done this before. I just started putting together a 74 CJ5 from junkyard parts. I have been collecting parts for a year. I know it will be along time before I get here but I have been wondering for a while. I will have a lot more questions.

1. I will be using a rear drive shaft from a 76 CJ7.
2. The CJ5 rolling frame has a spring lift on it. I think it is 4inch. I do not know how I would tell at this point for sure. The spring lift was on the rolling frame when I bought it. It has 33 X12.50 tires on it now. When I set the tub on it there is about 12” between the top of the tire and the body side of the wheel well. This is before the body lift and any other weight from gas tank etc…
3. I am going to use 1inch lift polyurethane body mount bushings when I mount the tub.
4. I will be using a T-150, DANA 20, and 304 combinations out of a 76 CJ7.
5. The length of the rear drive shaft I have has a running length of 28” and a collapsed length of 26-1/2”

I can buy a new drive shaft for a CJ5 T-150 8 cylinder, which measures collapsed length of 18-1/4” and a running length of 19-1/2”. With the above lift, information I do not think this be long enough and the cost is $189.95 plus shipping.

I have a good idea how to measure the running length. Once the tub transmission, transfer case, engine etc… is installed I would measure from the axle joint to the transmission joint. Is this correct?

How would I determine the collapsed length? Do I even need to now this?
What is the cost to have a drive shaft shortened? What type of place will do this?

With the information, I have gathered I believe the front drive shafts to be the same length on the CJ7 and the CJ5. With the above lift, I think the front drive shaft I have will be to short. Is this correct? Can I get another longer CJ front drive shaft from the junkyard and have it cut down if need be?

The Missouri Mule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drive shaft questions?

The CJ 7 is 10" longer than the CJ 5. The difference is from the trans back. The front shaft should be OK. Get the thing together before you get a rear shaft. They are not that expensive to have fabricated. You could also have the CJ 7 rear shaft shortened. After its together you can evaluate the effects of the lift will have on the driveshaft lenght. Be patient about his process. It will save you some headaches later.

85 CJ7,Chevy LT-1,700R4,NP208,4 1/2 lift,33's
77 Blazer,350 Cowl Induction,TH350,NP203 8", 33's

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes the front shafts are the same given the same drivetrain. Don't buy one of those ready made, catalog driveshafts. Go to a driveshaft builder and have one made at the correct length instead of buying one and modifying it. If you don't have a local driveshaft shop check out Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts. http://www.4xshaft.com

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like Summit said, get it all loaded down before you measure. I assume that you will be buying a CV driveshaft. Some of the best money I spent on my jeep was the CV shaft. Once you hit 3" or more of lift, it is almost impossible to get the driveline angle adjusted so you don't have vibration.

I was very happy with the CV driveshaft I bought from 6 States Distrubuters. I don't have any knowledge on the others.

Send us a pic when u have it done.

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode