89 YJ, pinging, stalling, hesitating, HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

89 YJ, pinging, stalling, hesitating, HELP!

Hey,

Well I'm a Cherokee guy, but i decided to get a Wrangler on Stuarday as well. It's an 89 and ran GREAT on the test drive. Taking it home it started to hesitate right around 2500rpm to 3500rpm, with black smoke. What is that? Now she won't even start and when it does I cannot get the rpm up at all. This morning it couldn't get above 20mph, and that was HARD to do.

I'm thinking maybe a clogged cat? Can you guys give me any ideas. It's a carbed 258ci BTW. Also I noticed to hoses, right in front of the battery that are supposed to be hooked up to some metal (fuel filter looking) things. Neither of them are hooked up, they blow a little smoke /steam though, would this affect anything?

Thanks,

Todd

AOL AIM- Quikag57

Lostsa Mods, Little Time, oh well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:53 PM

Re: 89 YJ, pinging, stalling, hesitating, HELP!

Yank the distributor cap and clean off the rotor nose with a pocket knife or nail file.
Try to start it.

If it starts, get a new distributor cap and rotor.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:00 PM

Welcome to the world of the 258! A great engine, just needs some help. Yeah, Id try what TR said, and also check vacuums. Soon, you will learn to listen for vacuum leaks. I had a similar problem in my YJ with the choke. But once everything is going good, you will love it.. I love my 258, and my only problem is just stalling at extreme angles, but it has plenty of low end torque.

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:24 PM

Good point YJ, I didn't think of the choke being closed, but that would cause the same symptoms!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast

The choke sounds like a good suspect. The black smoke seems to say that you're running a little rich.

Try the link, everyone with the 258 lives by it. I'm not sure if you have a Carter carb, but this should help.

www.offroad.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/index.htm

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition, TR Ignition Upgrade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

isn't that can he's reffering to the one that stores all the toxic fumes for smog? you know the one the size of a football on the front of the firewall pasenger side?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

hey,

Thanks for the advise guys. I know the vaccuums are important, my Cherokees run like crap when they are messed up. Anyway I tried again to start it this morning, I know that it wants to and I CAN smell fuel, so the choke is working. It just plain won't start and hold an idle.

As far as the fuel filter thing that I said there were hoses attached too, well thats about the size of it, directly in front of the battery, with 1/2in hoses going into it. Like I said both of those hoses are free balling! I just want this to start, i ran SO PERFECT on the test drive, had full power and all. So I know that whatever this is, has to be minor, cause it ran so well the other day. There were no big bangs or anything.

I'm gonna pull the cat tonight, and I bought a cap, rotor, plugs, wire, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, yada yada. I'll do all that tonight and let you guys know how it went.

Anything else you can suggest would be great!

Thanks,

Todd

AOL AIM- Quikag57

Lostsa Mods, Little Time, oh well!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 01:49 PM

Don't let this thread die, I'm interested in seeing what it actually was...

Cat converter wouldn't have plugged up that fast. If you had good power one day, and won't run the next, that's not the converter.
I'd do a back pressure test before I yanked the converter... (I like clean breathing air...)

Keep us posted!
Good luck!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will actually have 2 cans, one on each side. The plastic one is the charcoal canister (left side) that is used to trap gas (fuel) fumes. If the hoses are unplugged, you will get a lean air/fuel mix coupled with a high idle. The other can is the vacuum reservoir and it really needs to have all the vacuum lines hooked up.

The above link is an outstanding source of info. In your case, the black smoke is the key hint that you are running way too rich. As stated above, I would check the choke first. To help get it started, pull the air cleaner and make sure that the choke plate is closed (cold engine). If it still fails to start and you are smelling gas, hold the choke plate open (screew driver works, be careful for backfiring) and see if it starts then. As you will learn, the BBD takes work to make operate correctly. The most common problems for flooding are the choke, float level, or blocked ventury tubes (those two little tubes hanging down in the throat of the carb).

Regarding the choke, there are two things to check in this area. The fist is the electric heater for it. On the choke you will see a red wire attached to it. If the fuse feeding this wire is blown, it will take for ever for the choke to open. Second, below the carb and attached to the bottom of the intake manifold is a heater. When you first start up, this heater comes on and helps vaporize the air/fuel mixture. The relay that powers this is on the firewall. It's a small black cube just to the right of the brake booster...just kinda hanging on the wire harness. If this relay goes bad, it will also cause the engine to act like it takes for ever to warm up.

Once you get your rich fuel mixture problem fixed, it will be worth your time to go through every vacuum hose and make sure that it's hooked up correctly. Contrary to popular belief, disconnecting all the emissions controls will not make the engine run better.

Good Luck and please let us know what you found.

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Before you go to the trouble to crawl under the Jeep for the cat, check one of the spark plugs. When I started having problems with my TPI running rich, the plugs got so fouled that it wouldn't start.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode