OT/ new welder arrived today!! ready to weld!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT/ new welder arrived today!! ready to weld!!

Just got my Millermatic 175 all assembled and ready to lay some beads tomorrow if the weather is nice[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], since I have to work in my carport.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Figure for now I'll just use the CO2 in my Powertank as a shielding gas.
Will the .024 solid wire be enough to weld some good beads on the frame, or should I get a spool of .030 for that?

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: OT/ new welder arrived today!! ready to weld!!

Sounds like you've got it by the short and curlies!

Lets see some pics of what you come up with!
(I may want to steal your best ideas! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img])

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:11 PM

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an authority on welding, but I would imagine that with a new MIG box, there is a learning curve as you get a feel of what it is capable of. With that in mind, you sure you wanna head straight for your frame on the first project out?

Not a flame, just trying to help out.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:11 PM

The inside panel on the welder will give you a "guide" to tell you how think of material, and what settings for different wires. I personally would use .030 or .035. I would save the .024 for sheetmetal and such.

TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the Millermatic 185. You will be very happy with it. I have always used the argon/carbon mix gas. The .024 will lay down a fine bead on heavy material, but I would get a roll of .035 or .030. Remember to get some extra tips. You will burn a few up learning how it works. I have used the flux core .035 without gas with good results. I have used the same wire with the gas and it works even better. The .024 wire does work very well on light materials like sheetmetal.

85 CJ7,Chevy LT-1,700R4,NP208,4 1/2 lift,33's
77 Blazer,350 Cowl Induction,TH350,NP203 8", 33's

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The frame wasnt the goal for tomorrow. Just like when I learned to ARC weld, I practiced first, then attacked what I needed to. I figured the .030 or .035 would work better for the heavier materials, so I'll head to the welding shop tomorrow and pick some up.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 02:25 AM

Any welder will tell you, the only way to learn is to jump right in!

Weld on anything and everything!
(You will be VERY good friends with the angle grinder in no time!)

I started with some cheap angle iron and made some roll around parts tables with shelves to start with.
I really need the storage space, and I just couldn't see paying the welders $18 an hour to stand by the saw for angle iron for my storage tables...
Besides, I got exactly what I wanted, the way I wanted it.

My next project was a work bench, and that turned out pretty well. (three of the legs hit the floor at once...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img])

Then I made a press frame using a hydraulic jack.
Needed a little press. I don't do big jobs at home, so a table top press is fine.

By the time you do that kind of stuff, you will be able to draw a bead with the best of them!
(Not really, but it sounded good, didn't it?)

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 06:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You should have some .030 wire on hand, but the .024 will actually weld the frame material. When you git to practicin', remember that the weld should sound like bacon fryin' in the pan. THAT's when you got the wire speed right. And set the gas nozzle out farther away from the tip one wire thickness. If the wire is burnin' too close to the nozzle the speed is too low for the amps that you are running.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:20 AM
utahjeepr

I'm still waiting on the MM210 I ordered back at the end of Dec. It's on backorder, hopefully going to be coming in the next week or so.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode