Off Roading Forums banner

1PC Effort

334 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
How much effort/tools are needed for a M20 1pc axle conversion?

#2 ·
I would assume all you need to do is
1.take your wheel off
2.take your brakes off
3.take your brake line off
4.unbolt your backing plate (2 wrenches, don't know what size)
5.yank your axle out with your hand
6.replace seals and put a bearing and the axle on

I don't know as I've never had 1 piece axles,but that is how you take a 2 peice axle out.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

#3 ·
The hardest part is that you have to remove the brake backing plates from your old axles to install them on the new ones. That means removing the hub from the axle to get them off. Carefully mark which surface faces outward, and probably left from right. Once off, the brake backing plate is installed on the new once piece axles, and the seals, bearings and retainers are pressed on afterwards.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

G
#4 ·
I did my 1pc conversion a yr ago and found that I needed a few tools to make the job smooth.
Brake tools, hammer slide, bearing press. otherwise pretty simple if you take your time and lay everything out in order.

Had one major problem. I had trouble getting the axle to sit all the way in where it is suppose to be. I ground off the spacers and still had problems. Well the second time at doing them I found out that I ordered a Omix-Ida kit which came with the wrong inner seals, TOO THICK. I finally figured it out and got stock type seals from the local auto parts store, then it fit like a glove. Overall I spent more on doing it twice, buying more seals, new spacers after ruining the first set, another set of bearings. Just do it right the first time and it will be worth it......

This is just a heads up. No problems since.

Rich,

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"

#5 ·
Clean everything down first ,mud and dirt don't get along too well with bearings and grease.
Spray any bolts and brake lines down with PB blaster or an equivelent penetrating spray... NOT WD40...since we don't know how old your axels are .be carefull with old brake lines especially they like to twist.use the appropriate spanner (brake line) wrench or suffer the consequences.If they seem to be stuck or twisting spray them again and be patient about removing them.Do NOT get penetrant on brake shoes ,bad-bad -bad
I asume you don't have a hub puller not many people have them laying around.A friend of mine had one and it made it go much easier.Some people on this board recommend using the tire as an oversize slide hammer ,I have never done this perhaps someone who has can advise you better.
KEEP ALL YOUR PARTS SEPERATED RIGHT FROM LEFT SIDES. make mental notes,draw pictures or take digital pictures of the way stuff comes apart.Do not throw away your shims even if they say you will not need them ,unless you want to grind the spacer.Shims are supposed to be used on one side so keep them on that side.I did reuse one of mine ,even though they said no shimming necessary it was too tight and I didn't want to grind the spacer and hope to get it right.

If you do not have a press be sure YOU know how everything goes on the axel wherever you take it,because they most likley won't have a clue.I pre assembled mine in the right order before I went to have them pressed .Good thing I did ,they didn't have a clue.I think JP magazine just had an article on this but a different axel. and they used a legnth of pipe and a BFH to push the bearings on ,thats up to you.
If yours did not come with the studs pressed in ,where I took mine they just hammered them in using two BFH's ,they also charged me extra for this,I should have known better.
you may need to use silicone sealer between the axel housing flange and the brake backing plate.follow the directions on this one.
You may need a big socket or appropriate driver to install the seal,I am pretty sure there is a seal that goes in before the spacer,It has been about three years since I did mine and my memory has slipped a bit.
Use axelstands or something rigid to support it ,don't bet your life on just a jack.
thats pretty much it wratchets, sockets,wrenches,Air tools if ya got them.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

#7 ·
We did my brothers last spring/summer. Neither of us had a press, so....we used a floor jack, a 4x4 (cut to fit) and piece of pipe slipped over the axle. This was placed under the basement garage door "header" (3/8"x8" steel spanning the top of the opening) and jacked up. We also froze the shafts and left the bearings, races, retainer to bake in the sun. Went together just fine.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.