Installed 4" suspension lift on 76 cj5 help!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installed 4\" suspension lift on 76 cj5 help!!!

I just installed a 4" suspension lift on my 76- cj 5 and now the steering is way off center. what gives here? do i need to take it to an alignment shop. i still havent installed the drop pitman yet would this be the reason? this is the first time after installing a lift i have ever had this happen and my brain is so dead and body hurting so bad i didn't feel like trying to figure it out this evening. any help would be great!

bowlsie

76 cj 5
00tj (for sale)
43 ford flattie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: Installed 4\" suspension lift on 76 cj5 help!!!

Of course this is SOME of the reason. The drop pitman arm will fix a bit of it. Im guessing the problem is you have too much toe-in(The front wheels turning toward eachother).
After a lift, you should always get it realigned. The Pitman arm will help fix the problem a bit, but most drop pitman arms usually only drop about 2 or 3 inches, so the draglink might still be at a slight angle. Id get it aligned if I we're you. And when removing the pitman arm, always use a pitman puller.!

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will pull the pitman arm tomorrow and then take it to the shop to get it realigned. this lift has been nothing but a nightmare since the get go but i wont get into all that. hopefully "prays" this will take care of the problem. yj, thanks for the quick reply and the much needed help.

bowlsie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:57 PM

Im just curious, and you dont have to answer if you dont want, but what has been such a nightmare? I just put on my first kit about a month ago, and it was nightmarish at first because I was antsy, but I stopped about 1/3rd into the installation, and just thought, "If I go to the hardware store, and spend a little cash, and get the correct tools for this Job, it would be a piece of cake" So, I did go get the right parts, and the kit went easy from then on. Let me know if you have any other problems, and I will help out as much as possible.
=-Ben

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the problems i ran into were the parts not fitting correctly. i wont name the store i bought the lift from, but what happened is they sent me the 4" springs for the rear and the 2" for the front. wouldnt have been so bad if i would have not installed them first. All of the old u bolts would not come off with the impact or a breaker bar so i had to dremell them off. during the nice dremell process i has a disk break and fly into my chest leaving a nice juicy cut the spring plate holes had to be widened to 1/2" and i ended up going through 2 colbalt bits. the spring eye bolts were too short so i still have to pull them back out and get some longer 9/16th bolts. after i finally get this thing all the way complete i am sure i will feel some self gratification. oh i forgot, on the left rear spring when the u bolt finally cut loose it dropped down and cut my rear brake line in half. i feel kind of to blame about this though as i should have had a jack under the spring so it didn't shoot down. so thats about it so far. i still have to finish the steering and the transfer case drop. i appreciate the offer for any help as i am sure i will still need some questions answered.

Steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man, I must say your lift kit experience sounds brutal. I almost had to chuckle, sorry. I have install so many spring kits and can remember almost all, but they get easier.

From what your describing, I think that your steering being off is caused by the distance the springs where increased from stock. The drop pitman arm will help with the angle of the adjusting tube and some of the steering offset.

Later,
Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah when i sit back and think about it , it kind of is funny. im sure when its all said and done i will be able to look back and smile and say "i did it" im sure ill have plenty of little knuckle scars and one on my chest to remind me of it when the jeep is long gone thank guys.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:28 PM

theres no way you screwed up the "toe" adjustment...unless you took the tie-rod apart. and if you do get it aligned forget about getting your caster back! my two cents
Richard

Richard
83cj7/1ton everything
It use to be a jeep thing, but that stuff broke.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:45 PM

Toe in would very well get messed up with lifting the draglink. The front wheels would start pointing toward eachother, even the slightest change in degrees would change driving styles.

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no, actually b/c the Cj has a solid tie rod toe will not be affected. The only way it has changed is if the tie rod was removed and adjusted. Caster is a different issue and will likely have changed, but not the cause of your problems.

When you say your steering is off center, I think the most obvious choice was overlooked...... Do you mean that your steering wheel is not centered when you are driving down the road? I assume this is what you mean, as I can't figure any other way a problem would have caused any other issue. Assuming this is what you mean... when you lift the jeep, the pitman arm is raised in relation to the steering knuckle, connected by the drag link. What this does is cause the drag link to need to cover a longer distance to its old center point. After you install the drop pitman arm, 90% or more of the problem will be eliminated. Although it isn't causing any mechanical problems and can safely be driven without further adjustment, if you want to do so, just loosen the clamps on the adjuster on the drag link and turn the adjuster to make the drag link longer until the steering wheel comes back to center.

I hope you get your problems figured out and that this was of some help, albeit long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode