optima life - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

optima life

Jeeps suck! There, I feel better, went out to move the steaming orange pile and the 5 year old Optima is dead. Seems like the warranty is longer than 5 years, it also seems like there is a way to recondition them? Anyone know about that or how to do it? I REALLY hate the idea of a new battery at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: optima life

The BCI (Battery Council International) refuses to rate the Optima because the rating system doesn't go that low.
There are stacks, and piles, and racks of those things at every battery re cycler I've ever been to.
It's the way the 'plates' are made, and the acid emulsion they use for an electrolyte.

'Plante (pronounced Plan-Tay) invented the lead acid cell in 1859.
The fist cell was more or less pure lead foil separated by flannel, and wound into a coil.
Plante plates are used in the positives of the 'Jelly Roll' batteries.
Plante plates can not deliver high currents because of limited surface area, and they also take extraordinary forming procedures.
Plante plates have a tendency to buckle badly in use, and installing them in an automobile aggravates the situation.

Deep discharge or rapid charging will create gas bubbles that are held against the plate material, and prevent the completion of the electro-chemical process.
The only way to remove these bubbles is to heat the battery, but that will lead to warping and collapse of the fragile plates...

Most American battery builders have dropped this type of battery long ago, but there are still a few that can capitalize on what the public doesn't know or doesn't remember.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:27 PM

Hey Teamrush are you saying that the battery that everybody wants and everybody talks about are total crud? If that is so then wouldnt more people know about the problems with them or are there enough people not willing to spend the money to find out if they are good or not. I would like to have dual optimas but the battery I have still works good.

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I can only tell of my experience with the optimas.
I have had the same one since 1994. it has been run completely dead more times than i can remember. I have done everything you should never do to it. it has been dropped, dragged under the jeep for miles, sat totally dead for months at a time, and it still works great. The military has been using them since 1994 with great success. I have seen dead ones, but it seems to me the militay folks dont treat anything very well..
I have since put optimas in everything I own and i have never been stranded.

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:12 PM

Elusive, I can see how yours have been abused, dropped, rolled and ect.
But how in the he!! do you drag a battery under a jeep for miles and 1) not know it 2) still have it?
LOL
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:07 PM

I was kind of wondering that myself....?...
How do you drag a battery UNDER the vehicle for miles, not know it, and still have it when you stop?!

Anyway, the military paid $600 each for regular claw hammers, $300 each for rubber caps for chair legs, and is still paying $1,200 each for normal toilet seats...
What makes you think they are doing any better with batteries?

I know people that claim great success with the 'Jelly Roll' batteries, but I probably hear three times as many horror stories...
I know that when I owned the battery business, they had a 550% higher warranty rate over standard lead acid batteries, and when I used them in my own vehicles, I've never had one live through it's warranty period.
(usually less than a year)
There are volumes discussing this problem, but no one seems to know about the writings...
(must be that whole, "If it ain't got pictures of monster trucks or strippers, I ain't gonna' look at it none" mind set...)

I figured the profit margin on those things isn't enough to mess with the trouble they cause.
I stopped selling them, but the guy that bought my business handles them.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:23 PM

Well, I am not going to argue with TR, but I will state my expierience. When I was involved in the autoparts stores, I never once had a return for the Optima batteries. I use them in everything I own. I have had one too many problems with Die Hards and Everlasts or whatever.. But thats just me. Buy what you want. Buy what you can afford.

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:42 PM

That could be in an auto parts store too, I did mostly industrial and heavy equipment, (strip mines, rock quarries, underground mines, trucking companies)
They have a tendency to be pretty rough on everything, including salesmen!
I wore out three vehicles in five years delivering to those places...

I'm sure common automotive vehicles would be the place to live through warranty...
And I sold the business in '95, so I don't know what the life expectancy is on one now.

Like I said, I can only convey my personal experience with them, and it wasn't good.
I've never done any controlled testing with them, so I certainly can't give an expert opinion on them.

If I keep hearing great things about them here, I may try one again, but it still seems to me to be about 50/50 for and against...

I'll be sure to include the, "...dragged under the jeep for miles..." test if I ever do decide to test them!!!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mine is a 1995 model and I have subjected it to many abuses too (never dragged it). I love it and have never had a problem out of it.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow! I must say i hadn't expected the education, thanks. I had heard good things when I bought it, it did serve me well until now, shouldn't be surprised I suppose since the whole rasafrassen pos has turned against me it seems, why not the battery. I may just revert to my normal purchasing philosophy and buy cheap

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode