Nearly drowned my Jeep! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Nearly drowned my Jeep!

Well, Saturday a buddy and I went out playing at the local sand dunes. There were some mud holes in the area and I had my three year old with me, she wanted to go through the mud. So I play around in it awhile, the water barely reached halfway up my tire in this particular hole. A fellow on a quad asked me if I would go through on the side of the hole, I figured that it wouldn't be that deep since the area that I was playing in wasn't that deep, boy was I soooo wrong. I started going through and it started getting deeper and then the bottom dropped out. The engine died and noticing how deep the water was(over the front fenders), I didn't even attempt to restart it. I handed my three year old out the window to my buddy that came over, he was in up to his waist at the door of my jeep. The water was coming inside and slowly filling up. I got out, stood on the bumper and popped the hood. You could just see the top of the valve cover, you could see in the inlet to the airbox that there was water in there. My biggest worry was hydrolocking. Well, we pulled it out, I let the water drain from the engine compartment, pulled the airbox cover to make sure that all that water had drained out, checked the dipstick to see if there was water in there, none. I bumped the engine a few times to see if it would catch and as it started to, gave it a little gas and it fired right up. Those that were behind me said that I blasted a buttload of water out of the muffler. Anyway, the engine purred like normal. I drove the Jeep home and commenced to the task of cleaning it up. The next day, I fired it up and took off and the thing started sputtering, I kinda figured one of the sensors went out, the wife took it to the dealership and the throttle position sensor had gone out(warrenty replacement for my stupidity). Today, the wife calls me from work to tell me that it is now making some sort of whining noise and she doesn't have time to take it to the dealership, nor do I, so I'll check that out when she gets off. I know that I have to change all the fluids out, and that will be done by this weekend. Should there be anything else that needs to be checked?

<font color=red>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=black>
Semper Jeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Addict

Re: Nearly drowned my Jeep!

Well, you might want to check your electrical connections. Wipe 'em clean and dry them off. Might even want to get some dielectric grease or spray a little WD-40 to disperse water and prevent the connections from corroding.

"Don't tread on me."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Spike5421

You may want to check your pinion seals since you are changing all of the fluids.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

check the idiot behind the wheel for sanity...
take the computer under the hood out and clean all the connections with alcohol. there are 3 big connectors. also check the connections top the wireing fuse box under the hood.
you know rich, it would be cheaper to lift that thing than to keep repairing these things......

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:45 PM

Since nobody's addressed the whining:

1) Could be alternator full of mud. Clean with liberal brake cleaner inside housing, let it dry before starting. (DO THIS BEFORE TAKING TO DEALER!!!).

2) Could be starter full of mud. Same treatment.

3) Fan clutch full of mud. Same treatment.

4) Power steering. Pull return line, put it in a bucket, start engine, and keep filling the reservoir until you get clear liquid coming out the return line.

BE CAREFUL taking your Jeep to the dealer when it's all muddy. Some places will put you on a watch-list or hassle you on warranty repairs if it's obviously been wheeled.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:17 PM

I Agree. Bluesman is right. Jeep sometimes doesnt warrenty thier own application specific Jeeps. I cant even get the carburetor serviced because the idiots dont know how to work on them at the dealers...(they only know EFI).

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

Come on Rich, NO pics? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

No pics yet, Dave took pictures with a disposable camera instead of his digital. The whining was the A/C pulley, Jeep is going to replace it. We'll wait another couple of days to see what else I screwed up[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=black>
Semper Jeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode