d44 front waggy swap question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

d44 front waggy swap question?

I don't want to have to out board my spring perches is there a front d44 that I can get centered right and just cut down the long side but still keep it to about 60-61 wms to wms? the scout d44 would require the out board perches. what about the waggy? I thing the wms to wms is 61 and the perches are 32 so can I just move the perches out to 36 (my 85 cj7 is 36 perch to perch i think) by putting 2 new perches on it 2 inchs out or will I run in to problems?

my bad thats the rear at 36 front is 28 so I would have to narrow the waggy due to the fact the short side perch is cast in the center section. is there a difrent d44 that would work?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Veteran

Re: d44 front waggy swap question?

Well, if Jim_Lou is correct on his measurement of 51" from ball joint to ball joint on the other post for a "wide track" cherokee, this means that it is approx 3" wider than the "narrow track" wagoneer.

You need to cut 4" off the long side of either to not have to outboard your spring.

In conclusion, if this measurement is true, and you cut 4" off the long side of a "wide track) Cherokee (J10 I believe also) axle, then you would end up with an approx WM to WM of 60.25" not quite 61", but close.

Does this seem to make sense to anyone else?

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

that would work great but do i need to out board my perches? what years are the wide track cherokee and is it passenger side drop?

jeepgod you've got a waggy d44 in the front did you need to out board the perches? if not how did you get the perches over 2 inches?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Veteran

The wagoneer spring perch width is 4" wider than the CJ's - you cant just *move* the springs in on the axle due to the locaiton of the pumpkin. If you cut 4" off the long side, this alleviates this problem (you also have to relocate the stock spring perch)

Otherwise, you HAVE to outboard your perch.

This is true of either a "narrow track" wagoneer or a "wide track" cherokee/J10 D44 axle.

SO - as I stated before, if you take the cherokee "wide track" axle, have it cut down 4" you WONT have to outboard your springs, however you will have to weld on a new (or if you are careful, I guess you could grind off the old & reuse) spring perch on the axle housing itself.

-Mel

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mel is right. If you narrow either one of them four inches on the long side you don't have to outboard. Left stock a full size 44 (Jeep) has the perches 2" farther apart than the frame rails on each side when it is centered under the Jeep. If you narrow the one side four inches you will move the other side over two inches so that it is again centered under the Jeep. When you do this the cast in perch on the short side becomes centered directly under the frame rail. You then weld the other side's perch on the long tube so that it is under the other frame rail.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

right I aggree ... the wide track is in cherokees from '82-'91 right? and does any one know if there are passergerside drop? and can you put locking hubs on them? or did the 80s come with them?

thanks for the info

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:57 AM
RatPatrol

Couldnt you use a full size chevy front 44, You didnt say if this was soa or sua. The chevy axle is set-up soa, but you can narrow the long side and keep from having to outboard the springs. BTW - Outboarding the springs is not a big deal, and you can do a shackle reversal while you at it. Just my 2 cents.
-Jeremy

1980 CJ-7 all custom
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

curently i'm sua ... i look at a few good write ups but i not sure my fabrication skills are up to the chalange.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Passenger drops are in waggys/cherokees/J10's from '74-'79. '80's had a driver drop. Good for YJ's, I am ASSuming you have a CJ.

Here is a picture of a "narrow track" wagoneer:

Here is a picture of a "wide track" Cherokee, notice the flares:

Here is a picture of a J-truck:

Hope that helps

-Mel

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

yep ... 85 cj7 so i'm SOL on that one ... can you flip the axle over? it wouldn't change the tire rotation ... but i assume it would cause a lubrication problems plus the caster would need to be reset / and you'd have to swap the outer knuckles. Mel85CJ thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode