Any mem-cal reprogramers on the board? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Any mem-cal reprogramers on the board?

I suspected that my TPI Chevy ECM had gone south but I wasn't sure. I bought another off ebay knowing that I could always use it as a core even if it was no good. I plugged it in and immediately knew I had the wrong mem-cal, no big deal I wasn't even sure it would come with one. I put my mem-cal in and it started and ran with no problem. Now, I'm pretty sure the old computer was bad.

I've found that the mem-cal that came with the ECM is for a truck with TBI. It's a wonder that my TPI even started with it in there. Anyway, I'd like to reprogram it. The chip I'm running on is for an automatic and I have a T-176. There is also a shift light that I would like to enable. Maybe a little performance upgrade but it runs real good the way it is. I'm also pulling out the 305 and putting in a 350 (or 383).

I think I still have access to a prom burner at a company where I work from time to time. That is if the haven't thrown it away. I've found the sites that show me how to build an adapter that will allow me to program the chip without removing it from the mem-cal and even a bin file that I don't know what engine it is for.

Has anybody found any websites that tell what values do what? Any shareware available?

BTW-You guys with OBD-I controlled GM engines might be interested in Here is the AutoXray site and the one they are selling is about half way down on this page. I think I've had $165 worth of fun just seeing what the engine is doing but it also told me that the temp. sensor value was way too high. A new sensor did the same thing so that's when I was real sure the ECM was bad.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:46 AM

Re: Any mem-cal reprogramers on the board?

That temp sensor value may have just been caused by poor grounds... What were some of the other sensor values? I've seen poor sensor grounds cause a lot of havoc on these motors... the computers are not usually what fails... Like we always say, if you think it's the computer, check everything again, because it isn't, then once you've done that, it still isn't the computer

Anyway, Just my $.02.

As for burning the prom, it's probably about as easy and cheap to buy a factory replacememt that will work for your application.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:25 AM
MarkF

Taz,

Do a search (not on this board) for 9C1. There is a 9c1 board possibly www.9c1.com that is for the 93-95 (and earlier) Caprice cop cars they have a bunch of guys that post on that board that custom burn chips for TPI. There are also links to sites that have shareware and default codes. I used to be on that board a few years back when I had a 95 ex-cop car with the LT1. I don't have the links anymore, cause it was on a previous job's PC.

Let me know what you find. I plan on installing a TPI on my 350 this summer. I already have almost all of the parts except for the chip, a few sensors, and the fuel delivery system.

Good luck
Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:02 AM

Hey taz I'm getting ready to start some burning here pretty quick. Just scored a laptop and in a couple of weeks I will be getting everything I need. I have a pretty modified tpi setup though with LT1 injectors, comp cam, vette headers, afpr, ported heads, ported intake and plenum, kn and maf with screens removed. If its going to be a while before you do the 383 I would go to gm's parts direct and get a prom for a manual tpi car, I think when I got mine it was 40 bucks. 3rdgen.net has a excellant tech forum with lots of info. If you want I can send the web pages to get the part number. What year tpi do you have? Is it Maf or speed density? later ken

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Always with the grounds… Not flaming just kidding.

I agree with you. I am an electrical engineer and what I always say is that if I were to put a black box in the bottom of an electrical panel with wires coming out of it but not connected to anything, most people would blame that box for any and all problems that ever occurred.

This time I'm pretty sure it's the computer though. It's doing some weird things and the diagnostic flow charts given for both problems end up with bad ECM. The MAT, manifold air temp and the cooling temp use the same sensor. This is a 2-wire sensor so it doesn't need a ground. On a cold engine they usually don't even come close to agreeing for the ECM value.

I disconnected the coolant sensor and got -38.7º reading at the ECM, that is correct. I replaced the sensor, put a thermometer in the radiator and started the Jeep. Ambient temp. was about 55º and the ECM gave 55º readings ±a few degrees for the MAT and the coolant sensor values. The thermometer read the same. As the engine warmed up I got.

ECM
reported
Thermometer coolant
reading temp.

60º 60º
100º 100º
140º 140º
180º 240º

That the next day, with the engine cool, the ECM reading for the MAT was 50º (same as ambient) but the coolant temp reading was 89º.

I put the ebay ECM in and the temp. readings were normal. The rich/lean flag started alternating between the two, just like it's supposed to and when I took it out on the road, it seemed to be running properly again.

I'm not totally convinced, but I'm getting there.

<hr>

ducmon900
That 3rdgen.net didn't give me anything. Is this the one? Here is one I like.

Mine is an '88, last year with both MAF and cold start injector. I see GM brought back the MAF.

The memcal I'm using works fine, this is an extra. I've got so many extra parts that I can ask, "Do you want to see my other Jeep. Part of it is in this box, part is in that box, part is at my storage site…"

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:04 PM
MarkF

http://www.impalassforum.com.

That's the site I was trying to remember. They have people there that can answer all your questions. Also check out www.9c1.com for links to Pre-93 Caprices which were TPI.

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Taz,

The memcal that came with your ecm was for a 4 cyl.You can reprogram the UV prom to your specs. but if it ever goes into limp home mode you could be stranded, the other two chips on the memcal are resistor networks specific to the motor.

I like http://www.tunercat.comas a bin file editer but it is not free. winbinhttp://www.spiritone.com/~eoa/Cars/EFI/index.htm is shareware but is limited. also GM bin files can be located here http://ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/
I see you have autoxray. I have never tried that one. I like this one http://ice.prohosting.com/moates/gmecm/index.html& its free. if you havent looked athttp://www.thirdgen.orgthey have a lot of info.

Good luck, Dan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Thanks for the links, a couple showed up purple meaning I'd been there but I'll look into the rest.

IROC-ZJ
Thanks for the heads up on the resistor chips. I don't think I'll get stranded because of that, I will be using this chip to experiment with and then dump it into the original when I get what I want. I'll be sure to carry the original anytime I have the experimental in the ECM. I may be a little paranoid, but I don't yet trust the ECM I got on ebay so I have carried the old one and a nut driver for the memcal cover under the seat for the past two days.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Hey Dan,

Your third link from the top should be ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/, no http:// in front of it. Not your fault, when you try to make it clickable, the post editor fills in the http://. Just mentioning it in case somebody else wanted to use it and had trouble.

Looks like a lot of good info in those links if only I can figure out how to use it. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for yours too Mark. A discussion forum similar to this one, just as slow too. I'll have to see if they will discuss the '88, not much different than their '91 except the MAF.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:15 AM

Here you go taz
www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/ this is the forum with lots of good info

www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech with lots of tech articles

www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/ecminterchange.shtml what ecm's will interchange (not proms)

www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/ecminterchange.shtml this gives the prom part numbers. you might be able to use a different year prom to get your manual trans but you have the vats system so I'm not sure. you might do a search or post and ask

www.gmpartsdirect.com enter the prom part number and it will give you a price, usually quite a bit cheaper. later ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode