oozing battery - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oozing battery

I believe I may have some electrical problem going on, but can someone answer this question.

I have a brand new 1 week old Yellow Top Deep Cycle Optima battery and it just yesterday started oozing battery acid out of the vent holes on the top. I started the Jeep up for 2 minutes today and turned it off finding the battery oozing and making a sizzling sound inside. Is this normal (I dont think it is)

Anyone know the cause????????? and what might be going on??

Thanks,
Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: oozing battery

Don't I remember that you had a red top go bad too after an HEI installation or something?

I'm guessing you have an alternator overcharging. What does your voltmeter say? You didn't mess with the brown resistance wire going to the alternator, when you did the conversion did you?

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:25 AM

This is going to be good...

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJTAZ,

Your right about having a previous battery, I had a longer explaination but it didnt generate much response, so I thought I might break it down and try one problem at a time.

Well, I dont have a voltmeter, it was replaced with an aftermarket fuel gauge before I owned it. When you ask about messing with the brown wire, Probaly I messed with all the wires, I will have to check, what should I look for.

This is a list of before and after install,

Had - starter solenoid,ignition Module, distributor,coil,regulator(I think)

Now - starter solenoid, HEI distributor, regulator(I think)

Rich,

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:08 AM

*76 CJ 5 304*

If your vehicle was factory V-8 equipped, it doesn't have a 'Brown Resistor Wire'.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW, It is a 76 CJ5 with a original V-8 304, The 304 was replaced in 98 with a new one. Everything else looked stock until I started messing with it.

So no brown wire huh,

After I eat breakfast, I'll go look under the hood and see what I see.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Put a voltmeter on it, temporary for now, but you need a permanent one. See what voltage you are charging at, I'm betting it's too high.

<hr>
TR, both Chilton and I could be wrong. Chilton shows a resistance wire to all of the internally regulated alternators no mater what engine (up to '81 where my book leaves off). Jeeps don't use the idiot light so they use the resistance wire. Haynes shows some 76/77 with external regulator.

Now don't do here what you have done on those other posts. This guy would like to get his Jeep fixed, we don't need your usual BS and misinformation. If you have something constructive to say do so, but check your facts before you post.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:12 PM

Now, to set the outright lies straight...
<hr>
*76 CJ5 304 *

The '76 CJ5 with 304 V-8.
In '76 the AMC corp used the Prestolite Ignition system, and the V-8 equipped vehicles were supplied with Motorcraft alternators with external regulators.

Only the Delco alternator equipped vehicles would have a resistor wire, and in '76 & '77 that wire would be a black with red tracer, not 'brown'.
But your vehicle wasn't equipped with a Delco alternator from the factory, so it won't have a 'Brown Resistor Wire' at all under any circumstances.
<hr>
Even if the vehicle has been converted to a Delco internal regulated alternator....

The resistor wire is only for the exciter in the early internal voltage regulator and took the place of a warning light.
Having, or not having this 'Brown Resistor Wire' wouldn't make a bit of difference in the overcharging of your battery.
<hr>
If your vehicle was factory V-8 equipped, it doesn't have a 'Brown Resistor Wire'.
<hr>
If memory serves me, (and it usually does...)
You should have a Black 16 gauge as the exciter going into the voltage regulator,
A Yellow 16 gauge going into the voltage regulator,
A Green 16 gauge going into the voltage regulator,
A Red 10 gauge going into the alternator,
And,
A Green 16 gauge going into the alternator.

The wires going into the 4 wire regulator connector soul be Green, Black, Yellow, and one open spot that has no wire, in that order.
---------------
SIDE NOTE:
If you have the high altitude model, there will also be a Red 18 gauge wire from the alternator 'S' terminal to the carb choke.
<hr>
SIDE NOTE:
The Deep Cycle battery you are using is the wrong battery for this application.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-685128-jeepcj_motorcraft_dia.gif (11.0 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Very good TR. My Chilton manual shows internally regulated on all '76-79 engines. My Haynes shows an external on the '76/77 V-8 model. Mine was an '80 with the six before I replaced it with the TPI. Having too many books is sometimes confusing. Like the man with only one clock, he always knows what time it is. A man with a hundred clocks never knows what time it is.

If you know which is correct for this model, internal/external, I concede to you. Just leave out the " Now, to set the outright lies straight..." part next time.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:03 PM

Rich1134,
If you find that there is something wrong with the alternator (check your private messages) and you want to upgrade to an internally regulated Delco alternator, here is the BEST way of doing that with out changing everything in the engine bay...

Start with a two wire plug for a Delco SI series alternator.
Every discount auto parts store will have one for about $5.

You will need a Diode or Warning (Idiot) light from Radio Shack or some place like it.
You are looking at $3 to $5 for the diodes or idiot light socket and bulb.

You are looking at $19 to $45 for the alternator from a discount auto parts store.

You will need a Black 10 Ga. wire long enough to reach from the alternator to the battery negative terminal, and the terminal ends for that wire.
Cost, about $2.

Here is the diagram, compare it against the diagram I posted earlier, and you will see how easy this is...

Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-685217-DelcoUpgradeforMotorcraftAlt.gif (6.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode