What is this body piece called? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

What is this body piece called?

Okay, what is the proper name for the crosspiece I have high-lighted in the pic? I'm getting ready to build a bumper for my '74 CJ5 and I was going to bolt it to the frame behind this crossmember. When measuring everything though, I found that it is longer on the left than the right! You can't tell in the picture because the license plate hides it, but the piece ends right where the rearcorner attaches to the back pieces on the right side. The left side goes all the way out to the edge of the tub approx 3" more! It looks to be 100% factory. Any idea of why it might be like that? Thanks!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-684491-whatisthispart.jpg (16.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:18 PM

Re: What is this body piece called?

that is the rear frame crossmember if yours is not equal on both sides than somebody must have cut it the factory made them symetrical a replacement can be bought from several suppliers or you can make your own

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

"Rear frame crossmember"....sometimes I'm an IDIOT! Of COURSE! DUH! *smacks head on keyboard a few times* Okay, much better now!

Actually, the piece is angled up on each side, and it doesn't look like it has been cut as each side is symetrical to the other, just off center. I know both the previous owners, and they wouldn't have touched it. Possibly if was ever damaged and replaced, it was put on incorrectly. It isn't damaged currently, just a big off center and supports the rear of the tub fine, I was just curious. The bumper I'm building is going to set about 2" back from it and be bolted directly to the frame. I'm thinking either 2" x 4" or 2" x 6" 3/16" wall square tubing....and a swing out tire carrier....and use seal beam tailights in the bumper....get rid of tailights on tub and use space for gas cans.....*grin*

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:26 PM
jeepfiend

It appears you are pointing at the rear crossmember. It is attached to the frame, yes? The bumper that I built for my CJ2 attaches to that crossmember right next to the frame. I just cut the ends off of mine, I can't recall for sure, but I thought the rear crossmember was symmetrical. I am attaching some tabs made of 2x3x3/16" angle for the body supports at the ends.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:41 PM
utahjeepr

You're not crazy, the one I took off my '72 wasn't symetrical either.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Nickmil

On the early CJ's ('75 and older) the rear crossmember is not symmetrical. The driver's side is intentionally longer to mount the license plate to. If you look close there should be two horizontally slotted holes towards the top of the crossmember. That's where the license plate is supposed to go (if you're making it original). Nickmil.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

A-HA! My license plate is on the passenger side, but is not original. That explains it. Thanks so much! Now I can get on with the bumper.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looking at to me i'd call it junk i beleive its referred to as the rear cross member.

taco
78cj7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Well camo, the tailgate IS junk, but the crossmember is only surface rusted. Actually, you can't see all the rusted parts I HAVE fixed or replaced! But hey, I wanted a rig I wouldn't feel bad about if I bent a fender, so she suits me okay.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Old Hand

And I bet it dont have a payment book with it ether cj5_pilot ,,,, My 74 has age marks like yours too ,,, I want to see the new ones when they are 28 years old...

DEATH BEFORE 2 WHEEL DRIVE ,,,
Quando omni flunkus moritati ,,,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode