To Jeep or not to Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

To Jeep or not to Jeep?

I've got the opportunity to buy a well built '86 K5 Blazer, but I'd have to get rid of my mostly stock '95 YJ.
Here's the specs...
K5
3yrs on a rebuilt 350 w/ Comp Wolverine cam, headers, & various other warmings.
6k on a Corvette 700r4,
NP 208
10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear (new) w/ posi
4" all spring lift
35" Mud Kings on Micky classics
all built by ASE Certified techs (one of which is a good friend)

The Jeep
Stock
except 31" mud tires & 2" body lift.
Biggest problem with the K5 is 1) it's not a jeep 2) needs paint & 3) it's not a jeep.

What would you do?

Boycott paved roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-684300-MYJEEPS.jpg (7.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Old Hand

Re: To Jeep or not to Jeep?

There are two controversies lying within this thread:
Chevy vs. Jeep
Build vs. Buy
How about this, if there is no way to keep the Jeep and get the blazer, and you obviously want the blazer, then buy the blazer and save until you can get another jeep with a worn out drivetrain. Swap the drivetrain, since it is a nice one, and be back on the right side of both controversies! Think about the money it would cost to do that to your Jeep now. It would be a lot cheaper to buy an already built rig with the right parts, like that blazer, than to put all those things in your Jeep piece by piece. Then you can wheel it, and wait for the right deal to come along on a worn out 4 banger with a bad tranny or whatever that someones looking to dump. Do a spring over and go kick some a$$! Lots of work, but well worth it.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

I think you should buy the K5. It was built by guys who know what they were doing, and has serious equipment. The YJ has some problems, and while it has potential, it would take serious $$$ to realize its potential. Besides, we can swap parts! Especially if you get an early CJ later on! ;-)

Member of the Christian Off-Road Association.
1982 Suburban
1948 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:41 PM

I'd say keep the jeep. You know it well and have done the mods so far to it. If you know the guys that built it and how it was built than i might get it but you still get unknows, my friend bought a "built" bronco, 6" lift 36" tires 351 and it looked nice since then he has re-built the tranny and rear axle, 6 drive shafts (maybe more 6" blocks are great for axle wrap), a ticket for his tires being too wide (had to down size to 33's), and tons of other problems. I'd avoid it and build it your self, yeah it will cost more but you will have built it and know it inside and out.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would buy the K5. You know the guys that built it. It is set up pretty good, and the tires aren't huge. You have alot more workto do on the Jeep it sounds like, so get the Blazer, have fun for a while then when you want that "Jeep thing" feelin back buy an old YJ and start swappin some parts.

91 YJ, 4" suspension, 1 inch body, 33" BFG MT, Herculined tub, Stockie 4 banger, and no money
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:21 PM

To jeep or not to jeep
wether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
or to take arms against a sea of troubles
and by opposing,end them, to die,to sleep
No more!And by a sleep to say we end
the heartache and thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to.Tis a consummation,devoutly to be wished To die,to sleep
To sleep!Perchance to dream.Aye there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil
must give us pause, thats the respect that makes calamity of so long life

Thats odd that you posted this.
I've been memorizing this all week for english and I am supposed to recite it tomorrow.
I've still got about 5 more lines to remember

Oh, and keep the jeep!

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:34 AM

Its not a Jeep! you know what to do.

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:02 AM

Personally, if I was going to pick something to build it would be a 95 YJ. It would take some cash and a long time, but also for me the journey is as fun as the end result. I like knowing exactly how every part of my rig is built, so I know exactly what question to ask on this forum when something needs fixed [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Consider the type of wheeling you do. Full size trucks on the trails of Colorado can be tricky. Oh, checked your profile, never mind. So do you need four wheel drive to get through a wheat field? J/K, I'm from NE originally, got to pick on those Jayhawkers.

And I'm no chevy guy, but I think those are pretty weak axles; at least for the abuse we put on them. At least comparable, strengthwise, to the dana 30 and 35. so both vehicles would need an axle swap.

Keep the jeep. It's easier to take the top off; next time you're on the trail on a nice sunny day, topless, with the windsheild down (try doing that with a K5), feeling the breeze, idling amongst the rocks (or corn stubble [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]), you can remember the day you almost gave it up for a huge, gas guzzling ugly hunk of iron, and smile, and know that life is good.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode