Pinion Seal is leaking, How hard to fix? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Pinion Seal is leaking, How hard to fix?

My front pinion seal is leaking (the area where the drive shaft yoke attaches to the pumpkin, that's the pinion seal?) and it needs to be replaced. I looked in my haynes manual and it didn't look that hard, probably something i could do pretty easily if i borrowed a non ratcheting torque wrench, I don't don't have to open up and take out the diff do i? Should i go to napa and get a pinion oil seal or do i need to get anything else?

Thanks,
BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Pinion Seal is leaking, How hard to fix?

It's easy. Throw a pipe wrench on the yoke and block it to keep the yoke from turning. I ended up putting a hydraulic jack under the handle of my ratchet to keep from busting my knuckles and/or pulling something trying to get the nuts loose. Once the nut is off, the yoke slips off and the seal is easy to replace.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44, OBA in process.
JeepChicks: 1996 and 1997
JeepDude: coming in March, 2002
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:00 PM

No, It's pretty easy. As long as you don't over-torque the yoke... You should be able to check the pinion pre-load, then take the nut and yoke off, pry out the old seal drive the new one in and put the youke back on... then gradually tighten down the nut (checking preload regularly) till it's about the same as it was ( /- 5 in. lbs) then put the driveshaft back in and go.

I would get two seals though (just incase you garf the first one putting it in it saves a trip). Also, there is usually a crush sleeve on the pinion shaft between the bearings to control the preload, if you over torque the nut you'll have to take everything apart and replace that sleeve, so be care-full putting it back together. Otherwise it's definately something you can do F.O.B. or whatever.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:34 PM

You really should use a new nut also. That is a lock-nut and is considered to be a one-time-use nut. You may be able to get away with just putting loctite on it, but if you can get one easily, I'd replace it.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:35 PM

BTW, assuming this is a Dana 30, it uses preload shims instead of a crush sleeve, so you shouldn't have to worry about resetting preload.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 08:54 PM

dont worry about the locknut just use a good chisel and put a good dig into the center of each flat on one end of the nut acts just like a locknut

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:19 PM

The AMC 20 has a crush sleeve not the front 30.As long as you have the yoke off it is a good time to replace the yoke if you have the strap type,Also you may need to struggle with the torx bolts if it has them ,another good reason to swap the yoke out ,get the U bolt type.If you get the part # you can pick it up locally from a driveline place and save$$$ on cost and shipping.4 wheel drive lists the dana part # in their catalog or ask here someone will know it.the Ubolts are sold seperatly.the seal I would imagine can be picked up anywhere.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode