86 cj whats it worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

86 cj whats it worth?

I found a 86 cj 7 with a d44 rear i6 t5 and d300 body is completly rusted out. frame is rusted it has full steal doors poor condition and a cracked up hard top with one of the side glass missing. not running. what do you thing its worth? I want the d44 rear. the doors / top I may be able to salvage as a extra.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 86 cj whats it worth?

By the sounds of it, maybe $150. I picked up a D44 front axle for $50, so add poor condition top and doors to that and that is where I came up with $150. If the title is clear, that could be valuable to the right person.
By the sound of it though, the entire Jeep is shot. If anything else is able to be parted out then add more to my total.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Depends if YOU need any of the parts, or if you know you can sell the parts. You could probably get $300 out of the rear D44 axle, or you'd be saving yourself that if you don't have 1 piece axles AND the gear ration matches. The wide track front you could probably sell for $100. There are folks out there who just want to go wide-track and they'd pay $400-$500 for the set. Probably is 2.73 gears. You could sell the D300 for $100-$200 depending on the condition. Does it run & drive? Does the 4wd work? It all depends on what it is worth to YOU. Add up the parts you need & find the price.

I did a similar deal several years ago when we were re-doing our '85 for the first time. I bought an '86 for $1200 - the frame was decent & the tub was pretty shot. But what we figured we wanted from it was -
the D44 rear was a bolt-in for my '85 instead of mosers - thats $300 there, then the hard doors were in better shape than the ones I had, plus it had the laredo interior, so it had the tilt wheel, clock & tach like I wanted, and it had a better front clip than what I was working with, plus I got a spare transfer case. So it was worth the $1200 to us for the parts we were going to use, it ran & drove - oh and it had a Weber carborator and HEI distributor.

I don't know if I helped you or not.. but thats my thoughts.

Here is a picture of when we were dissambling it:

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
[image]http://www.national-lighting.com/mel3bmud.JPG">
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just saw an '86 CJ today as well while I was driving around... Very similar to what the others have listed. Body is completely shot but the front clip is ok. Brand New 33" tires and aluminum rims, the 44 rear axle, hard top and doors are in pretty good shape and laredo package interior as well. I would give $1200 for this one no problem. Oh this one runs and drives fine just has some nasty rust holes. I would say the 44 rear, d-300 case, and miscellaneous other extras, it would be worth well over the $150 that someone else stated. Finding a bolt in 44 rear in some places might be no problem but that will never happen in or near my town. The auto wreckers around here want $300-$500 (too much? yes) so I would go up to say $600 if you have the capability of tearing off a bunch of spare parts.

Jon - 1985 CJ7, 258, 67k, T-176, Dana 300, 1" body lift, 31's, wrangler tub, yellow!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I offered him 500 and it was like i insulted him. oh well the axle search continues.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was working on my jeep outside this summer when a man stopped by and told me he lived a few blocks away and has a jeep in his backyard and was just about to sell it... I went to take a look and he told me to make an offer 1976 CJ7, tub, fram, top and doors all completely shot but for some reason had a 6 cylinder header and older stainless exhaust. Wanting that I made an overly fair offer of $500 and he got pissed. He said he wouldn't even think about anything that wasn't over $1000! Oh well, the Jeep is still sitting for sale in his yard!

Jon - 1985 CJ7, 258, 67k, T-176, Dana 300, 1" body lift, 31's, wrangler tub, yellow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode