OT Buying a ZJ for the wife - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT Buying a ZJ for the wife

My wife's old 91 xj is getting a little long in the tooth and she wants something newer and nicer. I have been looking at the Grands as she doesn't want another XJ (she liked hers just wants something different). We are looking at the 97-99 models with emphasis on the 98's. I would like to get the v8 (5.9ltr I believe) if I can find one. Is there a huge difference in gas mileage? She wants a limited again for the same color body molding and leather. Anyone know of any major problems they had in these year models? I have heard the t-case chain has to be replaced around 100k sometimes (shouldn't be a problem for me I don't believe). Just wanting to see what people thought about the ZJ and any horror stories you might have.

If I had a Jeep tow rig then we would be a all jeep family.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Re: OT Buying a ZJ for the wife

I have a 94 ZJ and like it a lot. I don't know if the t-cases are the same but on our 249 t-case the viscous coupler is a problem and quits slipping which causes problems for a full time 4x4. The coupler is hard to get and expensive. Ours went out at 130K miles and I replaced it with a 96 rebuilt from Transfer Cases Unlimited which gave me a Lo-lock. This unit has worked great for the last 30k miles.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
89 YJ
94 Grand Cherokee
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:20 PM

hehe.. buy her a radar detector!! ZJ's are some fun fast Jeeps! I am at about 115K on my ZJ and it hasnt had any problems other then the bumpstops falling aparts(and off). Oh, and the front end makes a nice clicking noise when I am turning at full lock. Darn CV joints...
I like it though..
30,000 miles without an oil change, plug change, tire change, air filter change and it is still going strong..
NO COMMENTS ON THAT!!!! I just havent had time, im always too busy fixing the other Jeeps.... And I have an oil leak, so I ADD oil to it, not run the black oil!

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the '99 would be a WJ, with the 4.7L v8. It's a good motor, but it's also the first production year so the '99s have a lot of bugs.

Good luck finding a 5.9L. If you do, there is a difference in gas mileage, although the added "fun" level might be worth it. They're still faster than even the 4.7L HO. If you really want the v8, I'd try for the 5.9L (1998 only year for the ZJ) or a '98 5.2L.

'96 ZJ with stuff
'82 CJ-7 with more stuff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Forget that V8 idea.......it's not necessary. Our '97 4.0 Six has 130K with only a rear axle bearing changed at about 99K. The hard surface on the axle was bad and it was a c-clip axle so we had to pop in a new axle shaft. We have the 242 transfer case, and in snow it beats anything on rubber tires.....absolutely.....positively...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The V8 adds about 275 lbs to the front axle....is hard to service....burns more gas......makes the ZJ squirrely in snow, and the viscous coupling transfer case is nothing but trouble. The nice thing about the 242 is that wifey can drive it in All Wheel Drive in the dry supermarket parking lot ALL WINTER if she wants to. Our chain is still OK at 130K.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 08:39 PM

CJDave is Blashpheming! Get more power! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Im just kidding, hes right, it is a b*tch to work on,espexially the cap and rotor..
But, the power is great in the V8, I beleive towing capacity is about 1.5k more pounds in the V8. And just between you and I, today, I was doing a speed test, actually I was racing a 5.0 Mustang on the freeway, we we're doing about 130 and it was still going, then I decided to slow down..( I wasnt paying attention to speed, it just accelerates).

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] With a 4.0 and something like 27% overdrive and 3.54 gears, we have to shift to Direct at EVERY situation that requires anything over straight-and-level cruise power. So, kicking it outa overdrive is the penalty for getting the 25 MPG on flat ground at 60 with the A/C on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode