O/T. Opinions needed on selling Waggie. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

O/T. Opinions needed on selling Waggie.

OK. Im in a bit of a mental bind. As some of you know, I picked up the waggie for $600. I put on $700 in tires, and a $800 lift kit. All in all, pricewise, I have put in a total of about $2500. It still needs some tranny work. I have been getting really involved with my Wrangler lately, and it could still use a good couple thousand bucks. I figure I could probably get about 5K for the Waggie, that would be more then enough for my immediate wrangler plans. But....I really love the wagoneer, but would rather spend cash on my wrangler then the wagoneer. What to do, what to do..... Selling the waggie would mean I made some dough, and my insurance would be $100 less a month, but then it would be gone.... Its a toughie.. Id like to gather some opinions..

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Veteran

Re: O/T. Opinions needed on selling Waggie.

Not to be too negative here, but $5000 out of the Wagoneer? I guess the market in CA is a lot better than around here - plus you have the tranny work. But even so, lets say you only get $3500-$4000 out of it, you'd be up $1000. Plus $1200 a year. Totally up to you if you need the vehicle or you need the money. Probably would have been better just getting it & selling it before you put the lift on.... but, hey been there done, that we put on a lift on a J-truck, had the truck for 6 months, then sold the truck (but not before taking the lift back off - it was quite a PITA). Sorry for the confusing answer.

I guess my answer is to ask yourself how much have you been using it - what does it bring to the table. We have several Jeeps that we don't drive much, but they are collectibles in our minds, so we keep them.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, actually, I only drive it maybe once or twice every two weeks.. I like it a lot, and would love to take it on a trail, but I would also like to put the money into my wrangler...hmmmm... this is tougher then I had imagined.. I better wait a couple days and really think about this, maybe its just fueled by my recent offroad adventure, and realization that I need a few new things. Thanks again!
Yeah, 5K is a bit high, but a guy can hope right?

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:32 AM

It kinda sounds like you have gotten into the 2 trail jeep syndrom, it's not always bad but sometimes it eats all your cash having 2 jeeps to build big and bad, if maybe 38's were in your yj's future i'd say keep the waggy so you can still go out and play with your friends in their close to stock rigs but having 2 rigs on 33's that both can be wheeled will be a hard decision, especially of both are fairly capable compared to the other one. I'd say concentrate your funds on one rig to build it up but maybe keep the other rig for fun and don't spend any dough on it unless it needs it (tranny problem, tune up, oil change). It's up to you, decide if that waggy is just going to sit in the parking lot and be a waste that some other jeeper could enjoy and use, maybe try the throwing the for sale sign in the window and hold firm on the 5 grand asking price and see what happens. There's this guy the wagonmaster that sells grand waggys for an arm and a leg, i'm not sure how many miles or how nice your waggy is but i'd get in contact with him and see if he wants your gem http://www.wagonmaster.com and will maybe give your 6 grand for it or something like that.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thus the issue with owning more than one Jeep on a working man's (or Womans) budget. You want both, you want to PLAY with both, you can't afford to keep one and work on the other. I say take a step back and really think about what YOU want out of a Jeep. Don't be influenced by what you see in the mag's or what your buddies say, this has to be YOUR decision. You might actualy surprise yourself with the answer. But I do know your problem, I've built and play with my CJ, and have a stock '91 Cherokee for a daily driver, I am contemplating a lift, flares, tires, SYE, but I cannot afford to modify the Cherokee and still keep the CJ. I have thought long and hard about it and just can't bear to give up the CJ, so the Cherokee remains stock.
Good luck with your decision!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah.. I like the Waggie because its Got lots of room/power/Dana 44's... I like the Idea that I can load up on a months supply of food, clothes(1 or 2 pairs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) and go hide in the mountains for 30 days. I just can put that much stuff in my wrangler. I know one day when kids come along, and I want to take them on a trip to the mountains, I would regret selling that wagoneer. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I already sold the willy's. That was one project done away with. Mayube Im just downsizing? who knows..
thanks for the advice though, its been helpful.

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is why my GW is stock. The only thing I have done is fix things not working(ie. windows, locks, lights, etc.). I did have a ignition box go bad, and it was cheaper to replace it with a MSD box as opposed to the stock Motorcraft box. My muffler came off while going over a terace on the farm(very slowly, might I add) and I punched a hole in the muffler. So it got replaced with a flowmaster. I put on some old 31x10.50 AT tires I had sitting around back of the house and let them beat the fender lips under to fit. I take it across the farm every once in a while and engage the 4x4. When I get a few things done to the CJ then I might consider doing some other mods for the GW. But for now I keep it stock and drive the CJ on weekends and other fun stuff. I still want to fix all leaks(wind and water), and I have one door lock not working that I have to figure out.

Things I would like to do. Rebuild spare 727 tranny. Put on 4" lift w/ rear blocks and add stock size rear air bags. Regear diffs. Build from junkyard core a 401 to drop in. Put on 33" MT tires. Put new carpet, kick panels, and seat covers on. A repaint would be nice too. Along with a useful roof rack.

Nah, I'll just keep her stock and drive it till it quits and becomes too expensive to fix. Then I'll sell her for all I can get.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ben, you will regret selling either one (not JUST the Waggie), but it already sounds like you are giving reasons to keep the "Big" Jeep. Take your time and chose what you want to keep based on what youn see the future bringing.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:13 AM

Hmmm... lots of power, 44's, extra room... Another scenario:

Not sure what axles you're running now, but stash those under the YJ. If you've got the 360, pull that, have it freshened (if necessary) drop it in the YJ. Sell the rolling chassis with junkyard tires. Sell the good tires separately. Use that to buy an M416 (for the gear).

Best of both worlds. Keep what you like about the waggy, go big on your wrangler, and not feel guilty about selling a Jeep you liked.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:17 AM

I have a TF999 tranny if you need it. Also have a bunch of other parts as well.
Lator....

The Uglier The Tire, The Better The Truck Looks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode