Cleghorn Adventure a success - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Cleghorn Adventure a success

Well, as stated before, this is pretty much an easy trail. This was my first time, and it was a blast. The hardest part of the trip was the wind. My little Emergency Weather light started beeping on my CB; when I switched to the local NOAH channal, I was informed of 85 mile an hour winds on the 215 north.. That blew my over a couple of lanes every once in a while.

It was me in my YJ, and my friend in his 2 day new stock XJ, and another friend in his 2 week new ZJ. New to them anywayz..

We all made it through, and there was still some snow left for us. Does anybody know what lake that is as you finish the trail?

Thanks!

...One New Car, A Few New Parts, A Lot More Scars...
94 ZJ
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift, 33BFG"s. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:04 AM

Re: Cleghorn Adventure a success

Yeah, thats silverwood lake. Nice lake, but cold.
Did you do much of the trail sections? or did you hang out on the fireroad?

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Is that joke? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ALL we did was the trail sections. It was great. We had the most trouble getting the stock Grand Cherokee through the Jeep trail, but we got it. I think most of the problem was the anti sway bar was still attached, it was running on 29 inch Remington Wide Brutes, and this was the drivers first time offroad. The XJ did great. There were a could cases where the atached anti-sway bars kept the 30 inch Bridgestone Duelers in the air, but a little gas solved that problem. My YJ led the pack most of the time, and I can tell you that seeing these stock long wheelbase vehicles keep up with me in my Money-Pit YJ made me a bit jelous, but there we're some advanteages I had(I never got highcentered!). It was good fun. Problems I had we're my shocks arent nearly long enough so they keep my axle from dropping another 4 or 5 inches which would be a big help. The Grand Cherokee guy is getting some coil spacers next week, and the XJ is getting a 3 inch lift kit soon, and we plan on heading back soon. I plan on having a winch or an OX locker by the next time we go(and definately longer shocks). It is a fun trail. I like the off-camber area with the dirt wall riding right on the driver side of the car. I think that is around the first or second criss-crossing of the fire road, near the Big rock in the middle of the trail.

=-Ben

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:33 AM

Very Cool. That first section I Haven't gone up just yet (just at the first split of the trail and the two fire roads) and there was another section that looked like it had a little bit of a ledge when you started up it that I haven't taken. Let me know next time you go. I should be back up and running in a couple of weeks.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Well, I can assure you that if those stock cherokees made it, you should have no problem. I had a couple of problem where the angle was affecting my carburetor, that was an added challenge I had, and boy am I glad I had an auto tranny..... I would hate to do that in a stick, my opinion.
Anyway, a couple weeks we are going up there again. This time with recovery gear if we need it. We completely forgot the tow straps.

94 ZJ
48 CJ2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode