Battery problem/ after HEI conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Battery problem/ after HEI conversion

Help,
Having trouble figuring this one out. I am not a mechanic, but dont mind fixing myself. I have a 76 CJ5 with 304 and installed and converted to a HEI distributor system. Shortly after this install I had my 1 year old red-top optima go bad on me, if I let the Jeep sit overnight the battery would go dead and after a few months of charging it, it would no longer hold a charge, I had a starter go out like overnight and Now I have a 1 week old Yellow top optima and tonight I came home from a drive and found my vent on the top of the battery had overflowed battery acid onto my plug wires and hoses, etc etc. When I did the new HEI setup I took out the ignition modular, coil, and have a direct hot lead from the fuse panel going to my HEI distributor. The engine runs great but something is up with the electrical system.

I am not sure if this is the problem or not. I am open to suggestions. Do I still need a ignition module(I didnt think it was needed) but let me know.

Anyone done one of these conversion with advise or just an electrical guru???????

This also all came about only months after a total body and paint restore job.(meaning dash,fenders,all were off during project.)

Thanks,

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Battery problem/ after HEI conversion

Back to the top for anyone who might have advice???

Thanks

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:51 AM

Get a multimeter and check for current drain with the ignition off by putting the ammeter in line with one of the leads to the battery. Ie, remove the positive lead and hook it back up to the battery thru the ammeter. There should be only a current drain for your clock, if any.

I wonder if there is overcharging occurring here based on the acid oozing out? Use a digital voltmeter to deterime the charging voltage. Should'nt be more than about 15.5 volts when the alternator is cold. Higher than that, and you may be overcharging the battery.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:33 PM

Check your private messages.
<hr>
Direct Quote from TiminMB from this post...
"I wonder if there is overcharging occurring here based on the acid oozing out?"
(seems that TiminMB already posted the obvious symptoms and a way to test for sure on this post....)

AND...
He was on the correct track.
If RICH 1134 had posted back with results, I would have let TiminMB have a crack at it before I tried to solve the problem...
No reason for me to butt in if he's doing the job correctly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode