Help w/ AMC 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help w/ AMC 258

I need help w/ upgrading/fixing my YJ w/ an I6. It is leaking all around the gaskets and the pvc valve. i replaced the valve cover last year but it still continues to leak. Also my holley 2 barrel carb is failing. Any Ideas on fixing or upgrades would be appreciated
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help w/ AMC 258

Sounds like you have a 'blowback' problem or an inoperative PCV system. Of course this is just my conclusion.

Blowback can be caused by oil blowing out around the rings on the pistons. Maybe a rebuild will fix it.
An inoperative PCV system can cause crankcase pressure to increase because the crankcase gases cant be vented.

Hope this helps...

CJ8George
o[[[[o
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ive been looking around about a rebuild. I was wondering about the difficulty and the company i should go w/. Is it cheaper to rebuild or replace?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Let's not get ahead of yourself here.....my god man .....you're spending money already and the motors still in the jeep. Pull the valve cover ...... replace the PCV valve (or clean it - integrated?) ....make sure the vent hose to the air cleaner is open ........ replace valve cover gasket ...... then see what happens. If you're set on a rebuild go find a like year (or preferred year) motor in the junk yard .....make sure it runs .... then take it to be rebuilt ..... it'll only add $150 (maybe ..... I can get any working motor in this one yard for $95 - $75 if I pull it) to the bill ...... then you can shop around for a reasonable machine shop (is that an oxymoron) ..... you can then do the rebuild in stages (the head then the bottom end etc.) without being a "trapped customer" while your jeep's sitting. Meanwhile you still get to drive your jeep.
Man .........you guys throw around the term "rebuild" like it was "tune-up" (pondering why my wallet is so empty when everyone elses seems so full).
GeeAea

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you can get rebuilt 258s from Collins Bros Jeep in Texas for about $1000.
http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like GeeAea's idea, it's exactly what I did. Only I got one step luckier, a fellow Jeeper gave me a running 258 after he replaced
his with a 304. It's sitting in my garage now, still driving my Jeep with a 258 thats still OK, and when it comes time (Meaning when
I get around to it) to replace the motor I'll have a rebuilt one to bolt rightin, no "trapped customer" problem. Point being, if your motor
is still running OK, granted older motors have problems, the biggest being leaks, don't panic and get everything lined up before you
jump.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Definately check the PCV routing and hose condition. I too recently went through that "leaky" phase and all it was in the long run was the PCV routing and good hoses. Look at the Off road 258 hose routing site and you'll see the vacum diagram they have...read it..use it, it works. Look for the PCV shut off valve on the system that they have X'ed out and make sure you take it out. My 258 has 155,000 on it and still pulls good, doesn't leak any more and most importantly doesn't use any oil. GOOD LUCK!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode