Need tips on windshield replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Need tips on windshield replacement

I took my CJ to a glass shop to let the pro's put in a windshield seal. They told me there was a 50/50 chance they would break it. If they break it they wanted me to buy and new one AND pay $75 to put it in. Thanks but no thanks. I'm going to do it myself. Someone told me to cut the old seal to remove the glass. Anyone have any good hints or tricks on getting the glass in and out in one piece? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need tips on windshield replacement

I have a yj which is much different.When I was trying to find info using search I read lots of stuff about doing cjs'.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

they told you what?!?!?!?!?! you need to find another glass shop..

i take mine to one here in town.. they wanted $212 for windshield and install on my yj frame.. luckily.. they have a glassman and he cut one from a flat piece of glass.. and installed.. they just couldnt warranty it against leaking.. who cares about that.. it cost me $105.... they even painted the black outer ring on the glass for me..
call around.. and find another shop.. ask them about cutting it out of flat glass.. since its flat anyways.. cheaper.. that place sounds like they are smoking crack

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Official Historian

I got my glass and seal replaced a couple of years ago. The first guy came to my house but didn't get the bottom of the glass set all the way. I drove over to their shop and the other installer saw the problem. While trying to seat it, he broke it and they picked up the cost of the new one. You need to find another glass shop.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 11:28 AM

I deal with a LOT of glass shops, and some good ones too. I know of NONE that will warrenty your own glass against breakage. If you buy their glass they are making some profit on the product so they can afford to take the gamble on breaking it.(and they break those too)
I also do a bunch of windshields at work.(somehow I have a knack for them) And all I can tell you is that it's not so much the instructions that will help you, as it is watching someone. It does take a special touch. And yes I break one every now and then, and I have put hundreds in.(and it is 20 times harder getting one of the late model cars that are glued in out in one piece compaired to an older jeep)

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 12:18 PM
Way Outta Control

If you're swtiching frames and windshields there is one thing to remember. They all don't fit each other. The glass may be too big for the frame opening or the frame may be too small for the glass. It's a very COMMON aftermarket problem... the one size fits all syndrome. So, if you do attemtp to do the job yourself... measure it out carefully and include the compression of the gasket in the measuring.

I also agree with others... find a different glass shop. That place likely has broken a couple of Jeep windshields out of pure stupidity. Let 'em learn on someone else.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a 4whldr fiberglass frame, and a new windshield .As Leve said, it became apparent the opening in the frame was too small.Ok, nothing I could'nt fix with my belt sander.Course I did'nt want to make it TOO big and have my winshield fall out, so I sanded down too what I thought seemed right.Lubed it all up and got it all together,cept in one little area it just was'nt fully seating.tried to massage and play withit, would'nt go.So I figured I'd give it just a teensy weensy tap with a rubber mallet.Bad idea.It was unbelevable how easy it cracked with such a tiny tap.The lesson is make sure that frame has plenty of room.You should have to force it very little if its well lubed.One last thing-I've learned through the years that auto glass varies TREMENDOUSLY in price depending on not only where you go but also in how you approach them.The way I see it,the going market prices are much higher cause most replacements are insurance claims and many people don't compare prices cause their payment is the deductable only.So all the prices are higher than if it were a typical cash purchase item.And we all get to pay higher premiums and pay for boxes of steaks.If you break it, I think if you shop around, you should be able to find a shop to SUPPLY the glass and INSTALL it for you with YOUR new weatherstrip for clearly under $150. Marc in MN

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jps- I looked at your post again.I guess your not changing glass or frame, just the rubber.I would definately do it myself.I would make up some dishsoap solution.Put like a knifeblade between glass and rubber and sqirt the soap in there. do it all the way around on both sides to make sure both sides of glass are unstuck from the rubber. then i would with a fresh razorknife cut the old strip and remove the glass.DO NOT put much pressure on the edge of the glass to get it in or out.Make sure the soap has broken ALL adhesion of the old rubber.Then I'd put the new one in .Maybie someone has some specific tips on that.If you oops! it, refer to the latter half of my previous post. Marc in MN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode