towing TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

towing TJ

Can an 01 TJ be flat towed or would i need to remove the driveshafts? How large of a vehicle would i need to safely tow it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:20 PM

Re: towing TJ

I'd say a 1/2 ton truck. I've towed a 3-4k cargo trailer with an xj and it's not fun, it bounces all over the place, does a wheelie and doesn't stop well. I'm not sure about the drive shaft but if you took it out all the t-case fluid woudl come out.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just put both the tranny and T-case in their neutral gears and I believe you should be fine. That will disconnect the entire drive line. Make sure both are put back into gear before you unhook it from the tow rig. If either of them is still in neutral, it will roll.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First, I flat wouldnt flat tow with anything less than a 1/2 ton LWB fullsize truck, with at least a V-8. you can do it with a lesser vehicle, but that greatly increase the risk of accident. Also, if you'll be in snow, throw a few hundred pounds of dead weight (in laws?) in the bed of the truck to a little extr control. The TJ has the NP231 Transfer case. It has an oil pump...but i forget if its driven off the input or the output shaft. I'd unbolt the driveshafts at the yokes, bungee the slip yoke into place, and be on my way. it only takes a few minutes, and this way you KNOW you're safe!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Official Historian

DO NOT PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL WHEN FLAT TOWING!!!! When the transmission is in neutral, the output bearing will run dry and burn up. Put the transfer case in neutral but put the transmission in park if an automatic and in gear if a manual.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

I have my TJ owners manual right in front of me right now, and it says for flat towing: auto trans in park or manual trans in gear with transfer case in neutral.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Old Hand

You can pull the rear shaft on the newer transfer cases without the fluid coming out. I'm not sure when it changed, but they have a tail housing almost identical to the SYE tail housings.
Also, the oil pump is on the output shaft.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I flat tow my '98 tj a lot. Put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in gear. I tow with a Ford F-150 V-8 and wouldn't use anything smaller. Be sure you don't use the brakes in the middle of a curve! I cut the wires to the rear lights at the bottom front of the driver's door and installed a flat 4 pin plug on each end. When I tow, I just switch plugs between dash and tow vehicle. Does anyone have a better idea for switching the lights?

cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode