TF 727 and Axle swap choices - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TF 727 and Axle swap choices

I found a Tf 727 and was wondering if these tranny's are any good? is it too long for my cj-5 and will it bolt up to my d300 and 401? and will it hold up to a 401? also what are the best donor vehicles for axles? I would fabricate some spring hangers on the outside of the frame but I don't want anything super wide. would J-10 axles be good canidates? Keep in mind I have a 401 and 35's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TF 727 and Axle swap choices

The Mopar version of the 727 held up behind many a BB Chrysler motor. I would therefore assume that it would probably hold up to your 401 just fine. Is the one you found a Mopar case or an AMC case? Is it the 2wd version or the 4x?

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Way Outta Control

I've seen TF727's transmissions powering Motorhomes and 3/4 ton Pick-ups with plows on the front and 15 passenger Tradesman Window Vans.

IMHO, it was one of the finest transmissions ever made. It's robust and easy to repair on the side of the road if you had the parts. It's the Timex of transmissions as it takes llicking and keeps on ticking.

Install a good cooler, change the ATF every 15,000 miles, or so, and it'll last a good long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:56 PM

your CJ-5 axles are about 50" track width (so-called narrow track)
C101 and C104 Jeepsters are also about 50" track width
wide track CJ axles ('82 & later CJ7/8) are about 55" track width
FS Cherokee (not Chief models) and Wagoneer also Grand Wagoneer are about 60" track width
FS Cherokee Chief and J-trucks are about 64" track width
I think most FS trucks are similar track width to the Jeep J-trucks.
Too wide or not too wide is your call.
Best donor vehicle depends on what is desired result/useage and what axle you want and what is around for you to choose from and what you have to spend. FS Cherokees and Wagoneers and Scouts seem to be popular.
J-10 may be good candidate. They can be had for cheap and are either D44 or AMC20HD and many had lower gears. Drawback is width.

If the 727 is from a Jeep, it should fit to your 401ci. If the 727 was mated to a NP transfercase, it should mate to your D300 w/o much hassle. Front driveshaft clearance is an issue as the right side of the 727 pan sticks out. Like others said, it is a good transmission.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 06:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's a 727 that bolts right up to a 258 and a Dana 300, I have one. Don't know if the bell will work with a V8, but I hope so because I think we found a 401. It is pretty short but I don't have the exact measurement. Unfortunately I don't know what it came out of. When I tried to use the transmission number to get a new dipstick tube, the Jeep dealer couldn't find the number anywhere. Weren't the 727's also bolted up to the mighty 426 Hemi's LEVE? It they were, you couldn't ask for better credentials than that.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:05 AM
Way Outta Control

727's and Hemi's... wow! Now that's before even my time! I ain't got a clue on that... I'd be surprised if they were mated... but then nothing should surprise me at this age. That would be a nice combo to drop into a Scrambler.

What transmission number did you use? The number should be stamped on the machined edge just below the shifting linkage shaft and above the transmission pan. If DC can't find that number... that would not be a good thing.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guy's. But is it way too long for my
CJ-5?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Larry, way back when, you are the one who told me where to find the number on my tranny. It is PK5359402 6620 0020. The Jeep dealer told me he can't find any such number though. Why do you say that isn't good? The tranny bolted right in betwixt the 258 and 300 and is working great. You also helped me when the shifter lever was slipping on the detent plate about 2 months ago, remember? Had to restake it. Thanks again for the many times you've helped.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Way Outta Control

I've a memory about the size of my computer and then the onboard RAM blew... no long term memory at all! I'm just too darned Old!

That number seems to be a good number. Take magnifiny glass and look to see if the 3 is an 8, the 2 a seve, etc. Also take the number to Aamco and see if they can identify it.

The reason I say it's not a good thing is I question the dealerships ability to work with AMC Part numbers. They should be accessable and transfered into the DC databas. That's a must when working with Jeeps of AMC Vintage.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cj5v8, I'll try to get you an overall length measurement. You could then compare that to whatever transmission you currently have. If it is the same or shorter, I'd say you have no problem for sure. If it's longer, depending on how much longer, you may or may not have a problem, can't say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode