what will it cost - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

what will it cost

I would like to buy a cj7 that runs good, not to rusty,what would be a fair price to pay. It would be nice to drive right away with out haveing to fix every thing on it. What would you pay. If I could find the right cj5 for the right price I would think about it,what would you pay for a cj5. P.S. I live in NW Wisconsin and would like to know if you know some one here that has a jeep that thay sell in any shape. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: what will it cost

Good luck! Finding a jeep that is 20 years old that doesn't need anything fixed is like finding a girl who will put up with you fixing it! It all depends on where you live. Here in west Nebraska I bought my CJ-5 for $1100, fixed it up and sold it for $900. My CJ-7 I bought for $1200 and no way am I selling it! I looked at another CJ-7 the other day that was junk and the guy wanted $1500 for it. It's only redeaming factor was the hard top and doors were in good shape.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
jeepfiend

If you are looking for something that doesn't need a lot of work you can expect $3 - 4k minimum, at least here in Utah. And if it is in real good shape, you can expect up to double that amount. I would bet that cars rust worse in Wisconsin than they do here in Salt Lake, so not too rusty could be a real tall order, at least for something not too expensive. I don't know how you feel about square headlights, but Wranglers in reasonable shape are really coming down in price. I guy here at work just got a 93' for $3k, and there is not an ounce of rust on it, and it runs good.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

For something that is in good mechanical condition and has little to no rust in your area, I'll guess at $7000. They are pretty rare. Now if you can live with some stuff needing fixing and some body rot, the price comes done pretty fast.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 02:05 PM

Very objective.

First decide on some of this: What do you want? DD to play with off road? Off road only? Do you like to tinker/fix/modify/improve? ...if not CJ is not your bag, baby. Do you mind water on your feet when it rains? What are you willing to pay for a vehicle that will not only be transportation but will be a hobby and a lifestyle?

What to find kinda depends on your definition of ideals like 'nice' and 'too rusty' and 'fixing everything' and on how much cash is in your hands while talking to the seller and how much the seller wants the cash. You know where you live and what winters to do vehicles. You also may know that AMC used no rust protection (other than topcoat body paint) on their vehicles which exasperates the rust and winter thing. That said, typically any given person looking in temperate zones can find a rat heap of rust & duct tape from $500 to $3500 -or- that same person can find a decent condition CJ within the same price range. Depends on how, where, how long that person searches and how ready that person is to drop everything and run to inspect/buy possible 'good deals'. The old standard "get what you pay for" rule can really apply. However, you do need to watch out for the shady ones who try to make their turd look like a gem. You will also encounter those who think their turd is worth it's weight in gems. So the "buyer beware" rule is in effect too.

To me, you should be able to find a useable driver in the $2k range... it will have body rust and or repaired body rust. the frame may be rusty, worse in the rear - check it closely, if repaired was it done well or cobbled? will probably be in need of front axle parts i.e. ball joints, axle seals, axle u-joints, spindle bearings, etc. maybe some driveline parts too. may or may not have rebuilt engine, trans or transfercase and will likely leak here and there but should be a dependable runner. watch for cobbled up wiring... this can be a major source of headache. Unless you spend about the same price as used TJ, plan on fixing on your CJ regular... after all it is a Jeep not a Civic.

IMHO - Get cash ready to go. Start monitoring sites like e-bay.com, autotrader.com, classifieds2000.com (if it still exists), autobuyer.com, dirtroad.com classifieds section, the SWB resource.com, etc. Start monitoring the auto classifieds section and 'bargain corner' section of the local paper(s) and local/regional auto trader type publications. Do this a couple months to get an idea and feel for the local market. Get the word out to anyone and everyone you know who is 'into' off road stuff, when they see something have them contact you. Look in back yards and in the woods as you drive aorund. Wait. Watch. Wait. Good deals do pop up...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the heads up. When I told you that it would be nice if it ran good I meant that it would be good if it ran, and the body not to rusty I meant that it would be nice if it would hold the roll bar and the seat with out it falling threw the floor, I would plan on fixing the frame up right when I put new body on it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I do know where there might be a 1980's CJ7 with a hard top for $1000.00 I think, and he is still driveing it. This would be the way to go.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only way you will find a rust free CJ is to drive south and pick one up. I live in Michigan and we have similiar weather. I looked at about 10 CJ and YJ before buying one. All had rust and some were much worse than others (one had a rust out frame and he wanted $4K). I paid $3000 for mine and everything works and it drives fine. Of course it has rust, but not huge amounts and nothing that can't be repaired easily. It also has some minor problems (no tunes, blinkers don't blink, etc.). For $3-5K you could probably find a solid good running CJ.

86 CJ,7 258/T-176, 2" bl, 31 A/T or 32 SS TSL
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 05:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You've got an EXCELLENT paper that I've picked up in Eau Claire called, if I recall correctly, the "Trading Post" I think its published in Siren or Minong.I'ts been a while so I'm goin by memory on all this.you buy it for like a buck at like gas stations like a Tradin' Times.All it is is some display ads and ALOT of classifieds.But the thing is, this particular paper has so much it's unreal.I've never searched fo it online. ALSO-Get the phone # for Tires Plus in St croix falls, WI. Call em and ask how to get ahold of their old employee Eric that is , I think, the pres. of Gopher State 4-wheelers.They are the ones that organize that huge rally/ mud run every spring at some ski place near there.So ask him if he knows of anything available.Make sure you get that paper! Marc in MN

k
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:31 PM
jeepfiend

Bigmatt is exactly right, in the south at least the southwest there are some real nice rust free specimens to be had. My 77' came out of Arizona and it is super clean. I really haven't seen a 77' as clean as mine since about 79'. If you have the time, keep checking Ebay for a Jeep in the southwest. If you can eliminate the need for extensive body work, or a frame replacement, you can save a ton of money. You would definitely save the cost of the shipping. For that matter, you could fly to pick it up and only be out a couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode