Holley Jetting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holley Jetting?

I am just wondering if someone could give me some starting specs for a new Holley 2300 that I bought. I am installing it on a 258 with a mild cam (Clifford 264), bored .030 over and an Hei system. It will be running headers soon, but not yet. BTW I am about as close to sea level as you can get, but anything up to 1000 feet above is fine as I will be moving soon.
Thanks

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Holley Jetting? + fuel pressure?

Got it installed today and I am running 63 jets with a 4.5 PV. She seems to be running fine with 16" of vaccum, but I have some more work to do tomorrow. What I really need to know is what should I be running for fuel pressure. I have a regulator installed and right now it is set at 2.5, but runs fine at all settings.

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:54 AM

Depending on the actual part number for your carb, the jet size will be different. I have a R7448 350 cfm 2300 Holley carb and it comes stock with 61 jets and an 8.5 powervalve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:03 PM

Stock jets are ALWAYS pretty close unless you are racing or have some sort of supercharging...

If you want to know how close, I can walk you through the testing, assuming you have all other things working correctly...

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

With the Holley on my jeep I run the stock fuel pressure. I haven't played around with that at all. Glad to see that you are up and running. I think you are going to like that setup.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK I fixed the vacuum leak today and have about 14" of vacuum at 650 RPM's. I am running 63 jets and a 4.5 power valve. Timing is set to 8* with the chevy HEI set up and I am running a Cliffor 264 duration cam. I am getting a backfire through the carb when I stomp on the go fast pedal, but if I accelerate like a normal person (read slowly) then there is no backfiring at all. Also my vacuum will drop to almost 3" when accelerated hard, but will jump to the end of the scale after that. I am also running my fuel pressure at 5.5 now. Thanks for all your help.

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Holley Jetting? + fuel pressure? more info

OK Team Rush here is some more info before you ask. My float is set so that ther is just barely fuel coming out the sight hole, but I will correct that as soon as I finish writing this. The idle air mix screws are both turned evenly at 1 full tun from being bottemed out. the acc pump clearance is set to .015 and is running a # 28 squirter jet. my accerator pedal works fine beging to end with no interferance between linkage, or air cleaner. The acc pump squirts throught the entire range of pedal depresion, there are no more vaccum leaks. I am running 2 filters. the dist is hooked up to the center front port and the PVC to the rear port. And lastly the number stamped on the air horn is 4412-3 and then directly underneath that number is 2771. Thanks for you time and expertise.

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Holley Jetting? fuel pressure? more info

Jon...

The 'Pop' when you stomp it is your accelerator pump not putting out correctly.
I don't know which, enough in the stream or long enough.
You might want to jump up to a .030 or .031 discharge nozzle and a hollow screw.
(The hollow screw is worth 2 sizes up)
Both real cheap at the Holley parts store... Don't buy anything but Holley parts here, there IS a difference...
-----------------

The idle screws should be backed out until you get the highest manifold vacuum reading on a gauge, then they are adjusted correctly...
One turn out is just a starting place. Make sure when you adjust, you turn BOTH screws...
If one goes in 1/4 turn, then the other should go in 1/4 turn also, always even and always together.
------------------

If you go banging up and down on the dirt or rocks,
Set your float level so the fuel just seeps into the threads of the sight plug hole...
Then back the adjustment down one or two flats on the adjustment nut (the screw is the lock, nut is the adjuster).
-------------------
* my accerator pedal works fine*

That doesn't tell me if the throttle blades are straight up and down (Perpendicular) when the PEDAL is depressed all the way... You want it all the way open WITHOUT GOING OVER CENTER. Over center is just as much of a plug as not all the way open is...
Don't just pull the linkage back unless you are going to ride on the fender and hold the linkage open...
------------------

*the dist is hooked up to the center front port and the PVC to the rear port.*

PCV is correct, but your distributor is wrong. Plug the front port, and hook your distributor up to the port just above the idle adjustment screw on the metering block. (side away from throttle linkage)
------------------

*And lastly the number stamped on the air horn is 4412-3 *

List 4412-3. Basic 2300, 500 CFM, 122-73 Jets, 125-50 Power Valve, 0.028" Accelerator Pump Discharge Nozzles.... from the factory.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 12:29 PM

I had a little pop coming back up the carb when I would punch the peddle while in neutral. It ended up being my vacuum advance on my HEI, wasn't getting enough advance. Went with a unilite 9000 with electric advance, works fine now. you can get different advance springs though for HEI's, I think crane makes them., just an fyi,
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to jump up to a .030 or .031 discharge nozzle and a hollow screw.

I went up to a .031 nozzle, solid screw and it made it 10x worse. I can barely touch the gas now before it backfires.

Both real cheap at the Holley parts store... Don't buy anything but Holley parts here, there IS a difference...
-----------------

The idle screws should be backed out until you get the highest manifold vacuum reading on a gauge, then they are adjusted correctly...
One turn out is just a starting place. Make sure when you adjust, you turn BOTH screws...
If one goes in 1/4 turn, then the other should go in 1/4 turn also, always even and always together.

Done, both are 1 1/4 turns out
------------------

If you go banging up and down on the dirt or rocks,
Set your float level so the fuel just seeps into the threads of the sight plug hole...
Then back the adjustment down one or two flats on the adjustment nut (the screw is the lock, nut is the adjuster).

It's set exactly that way
-------------------
* my accerator pedal works fine*

That doesn't tell me if the throttle blades are straight up and down (Perpendicular) when the PEDAL is depressed all the way... You want it all the way open WITHOUT GOING OVER CENTER. Over center is just as much of a plug as not all the way open is...
Don't just pull the linkage back unless you are going to ride on the fender and hold the linkage open...

The butterfly opens to direct up and down with the pedal
------------------

*the dist is hooked up to the center front port and the PVC to the rear port.*

PCV is correct, but your distributor is wrong. Plug the front port, and hook your distributor up to the port just above the idle adjustment screw on the metering block. (side away from throttle linkage)

There is no port above the idle adjust, the only other two ports other than the PVC are located on the bottom of the carb. one is front center the other is right center
------------------

*And lastly the number stamped on the air horn is 4412-3 *

List 4412-3. Basic 2300, 500 CFM, 122-73 Jets, 125-50 Power Valve, 0.028" Accelerator Pump Discharge Nozzles.... from the factory.
------------------
I e-mailed holley and they suggested going to a larger jet. I tried this also, going to a 69 and then a 73 there was no noticable differance with either of them. I am still getting a large pop (enough to stall the engine) when there is a sudden acceleration from idle only. I drove it and when shifting, RPMs up, there is no hesitation. This is just an off the line problem.
Thanks for all you help

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode