CJ-5 Hardtop question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-5 Hardtop question

Hey,

I have two buddies with a cj5. One is a 75ish. I don't know the other one. The 75 has a hardtop but it won't fit on the other cj5. Is it just the windshield thats different? Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: CJ-5 Hardtop question

I think the older CJ5's were shorter?

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:47 PM

The tubs from '55-75 were virtually the same. A hardtop SHOULD fit between any of those years (gotta remember murphy's law though!). In '72 they lengthened the hood, but that wouldn't affect the tub/hardtop fitting. In '76 the tub was changed, some differences around the doors, and especially the windshield frame. I've been told you can use a frame from a '76 or later on a '55-75 Jeep and use a later hardtop, but I've never tried it. The jeep you don't know the year on is probably a later than '76 model. By the way, is it a metal hardtop? I'm running one on my '74.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:26 PM
RedSandDog

I was wondering how much head room there is with a hardtop on a '74. I know where I can get one for mine, but haven't picked it up cuz I thought it was too low (it isn't on a jeep now, so I couldn't get in and try it myself). I am just a tick under 6 foot. How does it work for you? How about with a full cage?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:48 PM

I'm 5'8", and my wheelin' buddy is 6' even. Neither of us have any problem with headroom in my '74. I've even got a vertical gunrack in mine alongside the shifter that houses my 26" Barrel .458 Lott. I think it has plenty of room. I'm only running a rollbar (soon to change), but it looks like there will be enough room for a full cage. Actually, I feel my metal hardtop has more headroom than most of the Wrangler hardtops do. That might just be a preception though.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as tops go, CJ-5 tubs are all the same from 55 to 83. 76 and up the windshield was slanted back and narrowed at the top. (a more aerodynamic barn?) Somewhere on the net is a site that shows the differences, durned if can remember where. A couple years ago I swapped an earlier windshield frame (gotta do the hinges too) on a 79 CJ-5 so the guy could use a nice 68 hardtop he had.

Grant
45 MB
60 CJ5
76 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode