OT - Buying new computer?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT - Buying new computer??

Everything else has been covered on this BBS, I figured I'd run this by y'all!! I'm shopping for a new computer. Now, I'm no geek. I don't do a lot with the computer, 'cept live here on this BBS, and some online chatting, and some web cam chatting. Not a lot of games. A lot of searches, virtual jeeping in general. I've been to Dell.com, and gateway.com. And I think I have a decent system picked out. But as always I'd like to hear some imput. Good or bad. What makes a good internet cruiser? As always cheaper is better......

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: OT - Buying new computer??

if you just us it for surfing the web ... you don't need anything fancy ... just a good modem. I have a 433 celeron I use for surfing you should be able to pick up a celeron faster than that for cheep.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Robert87yj

If you can hook up a compter, know where all of the wires go, and install you own programs, find a local computer store that puts together their own computers. You will end up saving at least $600 or more on a compairable syst. from dell or gateway. If you already have a monitor, then just buy the box. Here in atlanta I just look in the Atl Jour Sunday edition's computer personals section. Many diy'er companies place ads there and put together basic systems for cheap. Check the paper in your area.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

I work for MicroWarehouse,Inc and we are a mail order company. Take a look at www.warehouse.com and if you see anything you like let me know. I will see what I can do on the prices. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Buy the most memory you can afford without going overboard.
2. Buy the fastest processor you can afford without going overboard.
3. Sit back and enjoy the computer.
4. Read the adds three months later that you can buy your computer for 1/2 what you paid because it's "obsolete."

There ain't no subustitute for speed... speed is your friend in computing, even at a basic level. Just don't get buyer's remorse...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got it... speed is good. But I'm going to be limited to a 56k modem. I'm not ready to go to cable modem yet. So do I just get a decent Mhz processor? Do I need 256 meg of RAM? Can I get by with just a 16 meg graphics card? My main concern is that my webcam functions decently because I'm using it as a phone to comunicate with relatives. I do have a monitor as my hard drive just took a crap on me. I have the drivers to install everything else I have, so that's no big deal.

I hope this is sounding somewhat intelligent. I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about. Just what I've learned from asking the same questions to everybody I know, computer guys at work, the mailman, people in the mall.....

Drew
78 CJ5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All our computers at work are from Dell and so is one of my home computers. They are again rated the top company in service and reliability. And I gotta ask this reference an earlier post. How are you gonna put together a 1.6gig computer with 128mb of RAM, monitor, etc. for less than you can buy one from Dell?

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:26 PM
sentinel

You don't need a lot of speed to just surf the net. 500Mhz is plenty. 128MB RAM is all you need. 10Gig hard drive.
Trust me, I used to be a computer tech. Go to you local computer store with these numbers I gave you and don't let them tell you otherwise. It doesn't matter what name it is, just DO NOT buy a Compaq.

'79 CJ-5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
tdog90yj

This is second hand(Read its not my personal experience) but be careful if you get a gateway. A good friend of mine wanted to take his gateway to a local computer store to get looked at and they said because it was a gateway they could not even touch it. He said it had something to due wiht a contract Gateway had set up or something. Just something to check out and keep in mind.

Travis
Lots of goodies!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

500mhz and 128megs of ram is plenty if all you want to do is surf the web, especially on a 56k. I personally think gateways are overpriced. My parents have a refurbished dell which is fine for surfing the web. I think it is 600mhz and 512 megs of ram just because I got a deal on ram (ram is dirt cheap now though). I still surf the web on my 233 with about 80 megs of ram. Unless you play games or do other CPU intensive programs (photoshop etc.) you will be fine. There usually seems to be a point where the best value for a speed is that is there is a point where you pay alot more money for not much more speed. Really internet connection speed is the thing that makes using the internet more enjoyable.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode