OT - Buying new computer?? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT - Buying new computer??

My computer that just died was a 233mhz pentium. It seemed to surf just fine. I don't know how much RAM I had. I know it was several years old. I expected ANYTHING to be an upgrade. But I just don't want to pump a bunch of money into a computer, then be tied down with my 56k modem. I've always had "hand me down" computers. That seemed to be ok. Am I just expecting too much from a new computer? Is cable modem the only way to get quicker downloads? And what about videos or wav files? Everything still ok with 128RAM?

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I think the high speed connection is what will make the biggest difference. A 233 should be able to process all the info that a 56k connection can send to it. For what its worth as a hobby I record concerts on digital audio tape (recording at as high or higher quality than CD) and I transfer that digitally into my computer. This is a very intensive CPU activity (recording that is), and with my 233 I get flawless recordins. For video and waves also another key component is hard drive speed, if you plan on doing stuff like that consider a 7200 rpm hard drive. But if you are talking like streaming audio off the net internet speed is key there. I would not suggest buying a 233 (I doubt you could anyway) but I don't think you need the fastest machine on the block. For strictly web surfing pretty much any machine you buy can do it. Keep on asking, and of course these are my opinions but I consider myself fairly qualified (and I would like to think thrifty, hence not the recommendation for the top of the line). If you are willing to try to build your own that can be a cheap way too, really not that difficult either especially if you buy a kit.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Frank360

I'M A GEEK !!! And I had DSL with and 133MHz overclocked to 200, not even an MMX chip, with only 48MB of RAM, I had devoted 4 MB to the IRQ of my network card that was connecting to the DSL modem and it was very good untill I recently gave it away.. You get what you pay for in computers, but nobody harness the powers of computers anyway... The best you can do is buy a midrange, and leave it on and connected to the Net so the universities can use it's number crunching power to find a cure for cancer.. Or SETI at home to help mankind find extraterrestrial life.. And by the way, AMD rules, they are the best bang for your $, and will outperform any of those Intel crooks !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ummmm ..... Frank..... how can I put this??...hmmm....

I only speak ENGLISH!!! I am thrilled that I got you excited about something. At least I think you are excited... but you really aren't helping me. HA HA..

I think I'm gonna put my head down and rest..... maybe the pain will go away. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Drew
78 CJ5
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 05:00 PM

we use dells at work, and i have a gateway at home. i would stay away from your local, we can build it for you places. dont look at a computer that has what you want, except for not enough ram and be discouraged. ram is cheap. a lot of the build it for you places can build you a system, but it may not be compatible with the software or hardware that you add. this is my second gateway. the first one, i had for 3 years, with no troubles. sold it to my sister in law, and bought a refurbed gateway for half of what i paid for the first one. i got it with a pentium III, 1 gig processer, 20 gig hard drive, and 128 megs of ram. came with a DVD speakers with sub, new 17 monitor, antivirus software, microphone, and some other misc. cost me $719. i added 256 megs of kingston ram, for $40, and a Yamaha cd burner for another $120. it also came with the v92 modem that allows me to answer the phone while being on the same line. stay away from the celeron, as it is just too slow. AMD or pentium is the way to go. i have a friend who has one of the custom built ones, and he has constant conflicts and troubles with it. also, stay away from HP, as they have gone downhill the last couple years.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Back to top.... just looking for more input....

Drew
78 CJ5
post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 08:01 AM
Journeyman

Now that you have posts saying both ways buy local and buy big name gateway, I'll give my 2 cents. I wouldn't agree with post about local mom'n pop PC places would be more likely to have incompatabilities. I have seen both Dell and Gateways have incompatibilites with hardware and software. With a local store, you can at least take it back to them when something goes wrong. (Granted Gateway says you can do the same thing). And if you are interested in Gateway's promotion about buying back the computer in 2 years, don't even consider it. I know of someone that was recently offered by Gateway 20$ for his monitor (.19 inch) and 20$ for his computer by Gateway.

For general advice, with your needs I would recommend at least 128MB of RAM (its so cheap now even 256), you don't need a fast processor with your needs, but you can't buy anything less than 800Mhz nowadays. Buy the minimum speed and you will be fine.

Since you mention that you are stuck in the modem age.... Try and get a hardware modem, if it is an option. Winmodems will use some of your processor capability to run the modem. I CAN cause a slower connection speed to your ISP and the Internet. If you have an internal modem 95% of the time it will be a Winmodem. External modems are hardware modems, and there are a few Internals that are hardware modems. Back when I had dialup access, if I used a winmodem I connected much slower than with a Hardware modem.

Monitor - Get at least a 17 inch monitor, they are just a little more than a 15 inch and make it much easier on the eyes.

Printer - Many deals include a cheapo printer. If it comes with one great, if not printers are real cheap, so no big deal. Just remember that cheap printers usually have expensive refills on ink, so they will get you one way or the other.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Rogue42 and I have been building my own computers for the last 8 years. Stick with an external hardware modem for best dial-up speeds and as for the rest of the computer get the largest monitor you budget can handle and the cheapest computer you are comfortable buying. Ram isn't an issue these days. You can cram as much as you want in the box for next to nothing. If you have any questions you can email me for lots of answers.

Randy
post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 09:54 AM

I just bought a 1.2g amd athalon tbird from gateway in july. For $1299 I got a 19" monitor, 40g hd,512k ddr ram, cd burner and a free year of aol. The aol alone is worth $260. I have so far thouroughly enjoyed my system. There is nothing I can't do with it. The only short fall was my vidcard which I just bought a geforce3 to replace it but haven't had the time. My payments for this gateway are a whopping $33/month. I am very, very happy with my system and recommend gateway.

<font color=red>MY OTHER CAR HAS ROUND EYES TOO</font color=red>
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are all towers pretty much compatible?? I mean, if I wanted to be super cheap, could I just buy a new tower and plug my existing components/monitor into it?

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode