Off Roading Forums banner

What should I do with my Jeep? pics

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I've been working on my 75 CJ5 for a few days trying to put a 76 304 V8 in (replacing a 258). So far there have been nothing but problems.

1st problem: Transmission mount.
The mount was completly destroyed and squished flat. Aparently, the prevous owner (That S.O.B.) never took the time to replace this bad mount with he installed the fiberglass tub. So the transmission sat about 1" lower than it should have. So when I installed a nice new Poly mount the fiberglass tub now rests on top of the transmission and transfer case linkage.
The Fix: Install a larger body lift or drop the transfer case. I will probably install a larger body lift.

2nd Problem: The Pacesetter Exhaust kit
I bought the CJ5 complete in frame kit (Headers, Glasspacks, pipes and hardware). Well, I've got the engine in place and the headers are a problem. On the passenger side, the header dumps right in front of the transfer case!! There is no possible way to install this unless i want a 2WD CJ5. On the drivers side, the steering shaft is pressed hard against the header. I called 4WD Inc. tech support and they instantly passed me over to customer service who gives me an RMA number... (humm that's a little odd) So I take the number and ask to be transfered back to tech support. The tech guy then tells me that Pacesetter hasn't been bending the headers correctly and they don't fit. (nice job guys)
The Fix: Go with "out of frame" Headman headers and pray that they don't interfere with the steering.

The Question: What should I do now?
I've got probably $2500 invested in this motor swap (including cost of motor) and it seems like I need to spend more friggin money.

Should I just put the 258 I6 back in and try to sell the motor for what I've got into it? (yeah right, like anybody would buy it for more than $250.)

Being unemployed I have plenty of time but a limited resource of money.

Here is a picture of this project:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: What should I do with my Jeep?

Larry is right, fix it as money permits, take your time. See if you can get the $$$ back on the exhaust. I tried a set of in frame headers years back on my '84 and had the same problems. I don't know if you like them or not, but if your set on headers, a set of fenderwell headers and header mufflers will do the trick and probably be more reasonable. The body, sounds like a bigger body lift is the only way to go. Since your this far into it, I see you have a 2000 Cherokee for a daily driver, I wouldn't put the six back in, just more pain and labor down the road. Don't give up on her though...Someone on this board, I believe it was Jaffer.. not sure... committed to working on his Jeep one hour a day. I have a tight, very tight schedule.. so i've been doing the same.. one hour a day, even if it's just cleaning parts, sweeping the floor, you still feel like you did something. Feeling like your going backwards, or never going to get it together is a bad feeling, been there several times. Rick

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!

#4 ·

You could get a set of block hugger headers for your 304, then get an exhaust made, you may be able to use the Pacesetter exhaust with some modification? Good Luck:

Rodney C

G
#7 ·

MAN!

FINISH THE PROJECT! The first time you fire up that V-8 and lay the hammer down...you'll smile...and never look back!
Persistance WILL pay off!

remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

#8 ·

I have a 72 cj-5.It was a basket case when I bought it.It took me about a year to get it into running shape.I found as I built it that sometimes it is better to walk away from it for a day or two or to do something to it that is not a big hassle.This I have found is better than stressing on it.Do some easy stuff on it for a couple of days.Paint the bumpers,paint the wheel wells,change some bulbs.Keep your mind on the finished product.Jeeps are made for fun not stress.Make a list of the stuff that needs to be done and somedays work on the easy stuff.Somedays you work on stuff all day without it seeming to have any effect.The next day do something were you can actually see a change.Good luck

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

G
#9 ·

I would just get stock exhaust manifolds and be done with it. It is tempting to part out or sell things when you feel you are in too deep, but that's the life of a jeep nut. You are always going to spend more than you want. I bet everyone here can attest to that.

G
#10 ·
Well, I'm starting to feel better about this project. I guess the stress got to me. I really cant wait to fire this sucker up.

The motor is almost in. I don't think the clutch is lined up perfectly. I can get the splines to bite but the damn input shaft wont go into the pilot bushing (I already test fitted the pilot bushing so I know it fits.)

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

I am going to go with fenderwell headers and header muffelers. The block huggers look like they will be too close to the starter or the steering.

Jay C.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five?

#11 ·
I did the same 6 to 8 swap except in a CJ7. That shouldn't really matter concerning the problems at hand. I had troubles with "in-frame" headers as well but before you go with the fenderwell versions there are a couple of things you need to think about. The way your headers will dump is by definition going to put your exhaust system outside the frame rails where it is going to be subject to all KINDS of trail damage. Especially if you do any rocks, logs, obsticals other than mud, etc. Unless you plan on doing a serious amount of mudding where you are looking for high rpm wheel speed the headers aren't going to do you much good in the performance department. I trashed that whole idea and went with factory exhaust manifolds that I picked up used for $40. I went with a single exhaust setup as I didn't see the need for a dual system. Twice as many things to smash and/or rust out. The system routing gets a little tricky if you want to keep the passenger side tube up out of the way AND clear all your driveline but it can be done. Mine was complicated by a passenger frame rail mounted air tank just to the rear of the xfer case. Everything is tucked up nice and high this time (I smashed the first design crawling over a log that kicked up and mashed the pipe.)

The body mounts will be no bid deal. You've only got 8 to recut and mount. I'm surprised you ended up with clearance problems. When I installed my tub I followed the directions and ended up with WAY more clearance over my tranny than I had with the steel tub. Good tranny mount and all. Either way it's an easy fix. If you've got any questions on the exhaust just ask. Don't give up on the V8, you'll like it much better when your done. I sure did.

#12 ·
I agree with Spook. I have been a long time oponent to headers on anything but a race car. Yes I have had headers on street driven vehicles and they are a pain. Gaskets leak, flanges hit stuff and bend, they are thin and rust out quickly (unless they are ceramic coated). The hassle of them just aren't worth the gains you get from them. You will never be dissapointed that you have stock manifolds. If it makes you feel beter, port match them to the heads and be done with them.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

G
#13 ·
The engine is in

The engine and body lift are in!

Here you can see that the body lift gives me plenty of room now. I installed a 3" body lift but removed 1 hockey puck (there were 1 and 1/2 pucks at each mount). Now I want bigger tires!!

The steering is gonna be a problem (exhaust in the way). I am trying to find the original exhaust manifold but haven't had any luck yet.

Jay C.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.