Grand Cherokees for all - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grand Cherokees for all

Seems like alot of people have been mentioning getting GCs lately, well guess what? I am picking mine up on Friday, 95 GC Orivis Edition with 87,000 mile and 245 hp!!!! All set up and ready to tow, class IV hitch, wired for a big trailer, and an AUX tranny cooler. It has all the options and more buttons than I will every be able to play with. It also has the full skid plate package, up country suspension and tow hooks in the front. The Blue Book on the thing is like 13,500 from a dealer in my area, I got the guy to come down to, get this $8,000!!!!!!! I couldnt pass it up. I am hoping to pick up a trailer in the spring but if not I guess I will be flat towing the YJ for a while, its rated to tow 6,500lbs so it should be more than adequate. So what where these performance mods I was hearing about? I am going to get a K&N for sure and thinking about a good CAT back system, anyone know of a chip for these things?? This is going to be a whole new experience for me driving this thing. The newest vehicle I ever owned was an 89 2wd Ranger, right now I have the YJ and an 85 Desiel XJ that I will be selling, not anywhere near the same class of vehicle that this thing is, but nothing will even compare to the YJ on a sunny summer afternoon!! Thanks fo listening to my rambling.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Grand Cherokees for all

Congrats... i always said if i would buy a grand, it would be the Orvis edition.. that or a 5.9 nice choice!!

Hall

i like jeeps... i've had my share of them
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:03 AM

Tons of mods my friend...tons of mods.
Put in a Jet Performance chip, a Borla Header/cat back system, a MSD Ignition Kit and supercharge it, and you will have a 400hp grand cherokee....
That was my dream anyway, then I looked at the price tag for these mods..

But a Jet performance chip is only $250.
I have heard it doesnt work on newer ZJ's and WJ's because the computer will just readjust itself for the chip, bringing everything back down to stock, but IMHO think that is just a fairy tale.

Enjoy, fun fast SUV's arent they? Did you get the Qudratrac? Selectrac? or CommandTrac?

I have the all wheel drive, and still broke all four tires around a corner the other day, it was great....
These are great offroad too... I was really impressed.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ,
Mine is the all wheel drive, the only thing that I wasnt really happy about, but hey, nothing is perfect, I cant wait until Friday to go for it. The power is unbelievable, the Orvis is 245HP and boy can you tell it is there, it has a trip computer that shows instant fuel mileage, when I stepped it down it showed 5 mpg so I will need to keep my foot out of it or I wont be able to pass a gas station. How does yours do for fuel? I am hoping for around 20 on the highway with no load. If I can get 13-14 while towing I will be happy too, I guess that time will tell. I feel like a little kid at Christmas time...but I guess I should, I am getting a new toy!!!

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

I found a ton of 5.9 (318?) GCs, but was warned off by several folks that said the rear axles can't hang with the V8 torque, let alone towing. What's the deal? Good years, bad years?

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:18 AM

some GC in the later years came with 44's in the rear and 35's in the front, I think a 97 has a 44 in the rear. Mine has a 35 in the rear. a 5.9 is actually a 360 only offered in 97 and 98. a 318 is a 5.2ltr.
As far as mileage goes(I have gone 27,000 miles in the past 9 months without a tune-up; bad boy) I am getting about 15mpg on the freeway. If I tuned it up, I could get up to about 17 or 18. When I had "bald-terrains" I could get about 19mpg, then when I switched over to some BFG "ALL-Terrains" that we're 2 sizes bigger(30's) and my mileage dropped 1 or 2 mpg's.
I didnt like the all-wheel drive at first, but driving in the rain is great. I love it now, and wish I could get the All wheel drive in my waggoneer too. This is a HIGHLY capable off-road vehicle. they flex great stock, they have a good Limited slip diff, and the power is unbelievable. The torque figures are quite impressive, the A/C is wonderful. the only thing that gets annoying is that center dash warning system. It always beaps when you leave the signals on too long, are low on coolant, oil, leave a door open. Brake light failure while towing. Its convienietn, but when I am travelling 200 miles a day, and burn up a 1/2 quart of oil every 3 or 4 weeks(3 or 4 thousand miles) then you get sick of that beaping sound. Fun toys though..
Enjoy!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:26 AM

1.) "some GC in the later years came with 44's in the rear and 35's in the front" - yeah - with c-clip axles and an aluminum housing. Not really any stronger! Also, it's a 30 in the front. 35s are ALWAYS rear axles.

2.) " Its convienietn, but when I am travelling 200 miles a day, and burn up a 1/2 quart of oil every 3 or 4 weeks(3 or 4 thousand miles)" - Have your intake manifold gasket changed. This will stop the oil burning.

3.) "Brake light failure while towing" - Not if you installed the proper trailer harness that has the power module.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CD,

I thought about that when towing with the 35 but I am hoping that it will be OK, maybe an 8.8 swap in the future to solve that problem. If I am easy on it when towing it should be fine, especially with the all wheel drive, the front will be pulling too taking some of the stress off of the rear axle. I dont plan on beat thing vehicle, it will be my dailey driver, so the most off road it will see if dirt road where you dont really need 4wd and maybe I dirt boat launch every now and then. As long as I dont exceed the towing ratings the axle should be fine, right, and I dont plan on running anything bigger than stock tire size on it as it will be my daily driver. Any other concerns I should consider when towing my YJ?

Kris

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CD,

I thought about that when towing with the 35 but I am hoping that it will be OK, maybe an 8.8 swap in the future to solve that problem. If I am easy on it when towing it should be fine, especially with the all wheel drive, the front will be pulling too taking some of the stress off of the rear axle. I dont plan on beat thing vehicle, it will be my dailey driver, so the most off road it will see if dirt road where you dont really need 4wd and maybe I dirt boat launch every now and then. As long as I dont exceed the towing ratings the axle should be fine, right, and I dont plan on running anything bigger than stock tire size on it as it will be my daily driver. Any other concerns I should consider when towing my YJ?

Kris

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:08 AM

JJ, dont worry about the rear axle, you have all wheel drive, this will lighten the load on the rear axle, and send 40% of it up front. Tons of people tow with the stock axles. No problems what so ever.
My friend tows an 8000 pound boat and trailer with his GC, and its only rated at 7k pounds.
be nice to it, and it will return the favor.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode