Another TBI mfgr.. anyone heard of them.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Another TBI mfgr.. anyone heard of them..

Good ol' Jeepfreak01 sent me this link, maybe someone has seen this before, it seems to be another company producing TBI systems? Here is a link to their V8 conversion:
http://www.customefis.com/jeepgwfi.html

What was really interesting is this "diagnostic tool" he sends with each kit, I wonder if I could use it for my howell:
http://www.customefis.com/winaldl.html

Any comments? anybody heard of these guys? I think the V8 page said $800 for the kit, that is much cheaper than Howell's V8 kit.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Another TBI mfgr.. anyone heard of them..

The one thing Customefi dosen't have is CARB certificaiton...and I'm sure it's not 48 State legal.

I've been seriously thinking about making up a cable... but the price for this one looks very reasonable. The software is free, and the cable costs. There is no subustitute for more information if you have to re-program the Eprom. If you're not needing to reprogram the Eprom the cable and software don't really give you much of an advantage. This cable and software should work just fine on the Howell.

If you don't need the smog certifications for the TBI then all in all, I don't see a downside to the system.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heres one for you LEVE... What does a person have to have to be able to reprogram a prom? I'm fixing to change all the perimeters of which my chip was burned and would like a way to play with it myself if possible.Is it cost worthy for a do it yourselfer or is there alot more to it then the average shadetree needs to mess with?

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Way Outta Control

Leader, that's a tough question...

The Eprom is programmed to fire the injectors for a certian on time per RPM step. So you need to know how much gas you need for each RPM step of about 25 RPM increase to maintain the magic 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. This knowledge is not easy to come by, it's often trial and error to fine tune the Eprom for your application.

So, can you do it? Yes, you just need to be able to read and re-program the Eprom. The stuff you'd need to do it could be purchased for cheap on Ebay. Then the hardest part is the learing. It's no different than dialing in a Cam, just plain work.... and lots of it. A Comunity College course in automotive electronics would not hurt before you started the project. But for the aferage Shade Tree / Geek mechanic... it would be soemthing that would take up a summer and you'd have fun doing it. If ya ain't a Geek... then I'd shy away. Me, I'm a Geek... I know 'cuz I read tech manuals (on Everything) for fun...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 02:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Leve I have a real good friend who has a eprom burner and he has been using it to do change his fuel maps and stuff on the custom efi system he has on a rx-7 he races. The guy over at customefis makes mention to the fact that the software needed to modify the prom for fuel mapping is now available as shareware (at least one program for doing it). He also has up some of the fuel maps (i think the 304 and 360) for the basic setup. It seems like the biggest problem would be the fuel maps and as long as you didn't have a punched out engine or a wild cam/heads the ones he provides would be good.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Way Outta Control

GreenMachine, you're correct, the maps are On-TIme per RPM/Steps. That's the heart of the subject. This is one reason that the SMPI is so hard to modify. There have been so few places willing to dump any money into experimenting with the Maps. Then throw in the variables like a hotter Cam, larger valves, etc. ane you really open up a can of worms. I seems you've got an very good opportunity to learn to use that Eprom... heck, their cheap... go burn a few and play a little.

A guy's gotta have a little fun in life!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Mel,
I have had a few e-mail conersations with the CustomEFI guy. He uses used parts to make his kits and he usually buys them off of eBay. I don't think he is really up for mass production. He basically makes an adapter plate, strips down the harness to the bare necessities, and reprograms the computer for your engine. He tests all of the parts before shipment, but they are used parts. He has a great DIY section. I have seriously thought about doing my own TBI conversion and then having him reprogram my computer. One difference in his systems is that they use a computer controlled distributor. The Howell systems don't do that. I am not sure if that is a great benefit or just another thing that could malfunction. I have a friend who has a S10 Blazer with 4.3 and TBI. I am going to investigate his system and then price a complete junkyard system. It would be a great swap if I could do it for less than $500.

Later,

4WheelDriveWeb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:08 PM

He says he's done them up for Toyota inline sixes, but not yet for a 258 jeep.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW!! I really must be living in the past!What in the world are you guys talkin about?? I guess I'm just fat and happy with my 76 304 with stripped off smog business.Whats the purpose of all this Star Treck stuff? You must be gettin more than my 10mpg? Marc in MN

k
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really must be living in the past. This is late '80s/early 90's technology we're discussing here. Stay here a while, we'll enlighten you! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode