Front end mechanic - any suggestions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front end mechanic - any suggestions?

I'm getting ready to take my CJ5 in to have some front end work done(tie rods and wheel bearings). I've already asked around and found what I think is a decent shop. I stopped by and talked to the guy, he seemed pretty straight forward. But he's unable to quote me a price because he didn't take anything apart. That makes sense to me.... but is there any way to stop him from just wanting to replace EVERYTHING?? It is a '78 so it needs some work. And I'm not looking for a free ride. But I just don't want a HUGE bill if it's not necessary.

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Front end mechanic - any suggestions?

You could do all of this your self and save allot of money! But if you want some one else to do it, than watch him/her as he/she takes it apart. Make him/her show you what is wrong with each part as he/she replaces it! Good Luck:

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:53 AM

If you have the ability and the tools, you can learn a lot by doing it yourself, but once you get it apart if you have a problem you'll have to tow it to a shop. As for standing there and watching, I know I hate when people watch over my shoulder when I'm trying to work on things, definately ask first. As far as a huge bill, you are ahead to replace anyting that could be a problem while you have things apart, it'll asave a lot of $$$ in labor down the road to replace things like axle joints when doing ball joints etc. since you can already have them out then. hope that helps.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

alright.. do you have a jack and jackstands.. socket set.. flat head screwdrivers.. hammer.. grease.. and some common wrenches??? if so you can do this yourself.. in no time.. once done.. you will want to get it aligned..
as far as replacing things.. here's what ill tell you.. since its a 78.. he'd better replace everything.. i never replace just one wheel bearing.. unless its an emergency.. always do inner and outer at the same time.. the tie rod ends.. if not shot.. are probably damn worn.. since they have a good chance of never being replaced.. all this is not alot of work.. but for parts prices.. say 12 bucks a wheel bearing.. so thats $48 bucks roughly there.. your tie rod ends.. mmmm.... 25 bucks a pop.. you'll have two small ones.. and then 2 longer ones.. probably 180 for all new ones.. but they might not all need replacing.. depends on how loose they are.... while he has it apart you might want him to check your brake rotors.. thickness.. see how much longer they will last you..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the tools, and the know-how but no garage. I've done front end work before. I was just trying to weasle out of a major rebuild. I can replace everything fine, but I was worried about the alignment. So I was just looking to have it all done at once. I've NEVER gone to a garage to have work done, so I was just looking for a way to insure I have a decent experience.

But now I'm thinking I might end up doing it myself.... I guess I'll break out the catalogs, and make some phone calls. See what I can get locally.

Drew
78 CJ5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 AM

Instead of ordering through a catalog, why don't you source the stuff at your local parts shop? Ordering is way more expensive. Also, consider making some custom steering linkage as you replace your tie rods and ends. A good machine shop should be able to do the work for about the same price or a hair more than the cost of new stockers.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

Drew, just another idea, but Dana 30's are pretty common and cheap around here. Maybe buy one, we can rebuild it, then put it under your jeep. Maybe you might find one in decent shape too. If you need some help give me a yell.I went all through my D30 when I had it..
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7 with LOTS O' CRAP
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html,
http://www.aphlac.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think a total rebuild is needed. I went thru the insides when I installed the gears less than three years ago. Ball joints are just over two years old. I just need to freshen up the connections. My rotors are older, but still in good shape. But my passenger tire was wearing weird so I wanted to get things settled down before I bought new tires. I didn't think my bearings were THAT worn, but when the guy had it on the jack the wheel sure moved around!!

I haven't called anybody for prices, but checking online, the catalogs still run cheaper than the local part houses.

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode