Good Buick Engine Manual? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Good Buick Engine Manual?

I've a friend with a Buick 231 V6 in a Toyota, and is looking for a really good book on rebuilding the engine. Other than grabbing one for a buick car or a generic GM chiltons, is there any really good books for this engine? The Toyota BBS was not any help to him, so I thought I'd try hear. Thanks in advance.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Good Buick Engine Manual?

1) Jim Ruggles' Stage One V-6 Performance Guide (out of print)
2) The Buick Stage II V-6 Racing Engine by Dave Emanual (out of print)
3) V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl
4) Buick Power Source (or V-6 Buick Power Source) by GM (may be out of print)

These are all geared towards racing motors. Steven L. Dove wrote a couple of books about the turbo 3.8's. A search on Amazon.com for Buick V-6 would yield some books both in and out of print. A search on Google.com on Buick V-6 engine rebuilding might prove beneficial.

I would concern myself on doing a quality blueprint rebuild and use a stock replacement cam for best low-end torque. I had the Edelbrock Performer cam in my 4.1 and replaced it with a Sealed Power # CS-702, (for '79-'87 231's & 252's) and what an improvement in low-end, idle, vacuum and mileage. CS-675 for '75-'77 odd-fire 231's and CS-739 for '77-'78 even-fire 231's. Sealed Power is a Federal Mogul product available at most good auto parts stores.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: Good Buick Engine Manual?

Thanks! My friend has already tried Amazon, but didn't find much beyond a manual on the Regal/Century cars that had a decent section on engine rebuilding. I've never messed much with the GM V-6s, mostly Small Block V-8s, 4cyls, Ford motors of all types and of course diesels. I realize an engine is an engine, but there are always tricks to working on a specific one. 'Sides, I live 500 miles away from my buddy, and I'm probably not going to be able to help much! Thanks again. I'll look for those!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode