clutch will not disengage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

clutch will not disengage

try as i might, i can not get my clutch to disengage. the linkage is all in tact & tight. it went out shortly after a deep, long water crossing, could that have something to do with it? could i have warped the presure plate, disk or fly wheel? the starter also took a crap. not my best day in the mud.

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: clutch will not disengage

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is hardly anything that will rust up faster than the friction surface on a flywheel or a pressure plate. In fact, vehicles that are parked for long periods of time often have a stuck clutch without even getting wet. What I usually do is drive the vehicle and get it up to speed in one of the higher gears and then floorboard the throttle with the clutch pedal held down. When the engine reaches the peak of the torque curve, it will usually pull the clutch loose. Then I slip the clutch a bunch to polish it up once again. BE READY to back off the throttle when the clutch unsticks so the engine doesn't rev into never-never land and sprout rods.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A side note: Some of the older tractors had a little dog that you could flip over that would hold the clutch pedal down over winter storage. On others we used a stick cut to the right length and braced the clutch pedal down by setting the stick against the seat or some other spot that was handy. Of course many early tractors used an "over center" snap-in clutch instead of having a set of springs. On those rigs you just left it with the clutch snapped out if you parked it long term.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

like cjdave said it "could" be just stuck. i have had it happen on both my tractor and my jeep. since i live in the middle of the woods i started them up in 4wd low and crawled up to a big tree and pushed the clutch in right before i hit now your going to dig some trenches but i worked the clucth pedal, sometimes backing up and doing it again but it would all of a sudden free up and i'd have no problems. just an idea thats worked for me.

taco
78cj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Old Hand

My old Toyota Celica did that to me and it turned out to be one of the rubber bushings in the clutch came out and got wedged between the clutch and the flywheel[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Donnie
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep I run into a tree in low FWD...it will come loose or you will dig some really nice holes that you can plant more trees in[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode