Speaker Noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speaker Noise

Quick question. Yesterday my speakers started making noises when I went over bumps. It sounds like a scratching noise, and it isn't the same noise as when they are blown. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea where to start looking. When the face plate is off the radio it doesn't make noise, only when the radio is on, and it doesn't increase in volume when I increase the volume of the music. It's always a constant volume. Any ideas, I'm thinking loose wire somewhere? Thanks

JT

97 TJ Daily Driver
4.0 5spd 32X11.5 BFG MT KMs with 2.5" of lift.
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:46 PM

Re: Speaker Noise

You have a stereo in your jeep? You can actually HEAR it? Wow!

I'm not an expert at speakers or audio equipment in general (I've a lot of high frequency hearing loss from working on/around diesel heavy equipment when I was younger), but I had a similar problem in a car of my wife's when we were dating. That problem was off all things a combination of inexpensive (okay-CHEAP!) stereo, and an old set of plug wires that were leaking RF energy. Don't know the physics, but do know that when I changed the plug wires, her stereo was much better sounding!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep loose or worn wire is correct.
If it only happens when you go over a bump your disturbing the wire and temporarily shorting the speaker out. So follow the wires from the stereo to the speaker or vise versa and you should find a bare spot somewhere in between.

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
Maryland Mudbugs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

alright JT, so when are you coming over to redo the stereo (again)?? looks like we have a good day of rewiring ahead.

Hall

i like jeeps... i've had my share of them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:13 AM

yeah, I have that problem in my Grand Cherokee.
I is alternator buzz I think. I starts out with a little buzz sound, and when I step on the gas, the sound increases in pitch, but not volume. The only way I can get rid of it is to give the Jeep a quick "Tap" on the horn, or tap the Electrical seat poisition buttons. I only gets rid of the sound for about 20 minutes, then it comes back.

Its wierd, but I can live with it.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah JT, bring it over to H's and we'll do as good of a job on those speakers as we did on your rancho in cab kit! We'll have that stereo pumpin! Although, we're starting to worry about your hearing...H and I turned my stereo off and listened to yours offroadin the other day - we weren't even with in 100 yards of you and H called the song. Very scary. Screw the pollution from your exhaust - the noise pollution from your system is way more damaging to the animals

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys. I appreciate your offered help and concern, but I can hear just fine still. I'm thinking about coming home on Friday to do some stuff. If you're going to be around I would love a garage [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Let me know, i'll be online later tonight.

97 TJ Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey YJAroundTheWorld,
In your Grand Cherokee do you have any upgraded ignition system. I know I got that humming noise when I installed a new Jacobs ignition in my YJ. All I needed to do was put a little piece of rubber between it and the ignition box and the noise went away, hope this helps you... I know its the most annoying sound.

JT

97 TJ Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode