liljeeperdude02 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

liljeeperdude02

Guys, I just wanted to say thanks for the responses you've given my 12 year old. I told him over the holidays he could have the Willys, set him up on this board, and WOW another Jeep nut has emerged.

I hate to say it, but I've been super busy and haven't had time to do any Jeep projects for the last month, so John has been getting his "fix" on this board. It is really great that you guys take the time to respond.

Again....Thanks

Edder

'90 YJ, '79 Cherokee, '63 Willys Wagon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:58 PM

Re: liljeeperdude02

The first time I read one of his posts, I was wondering "What is this guy 12?" As the story unfolded, it's nice to know that it's just a Jeeper getting started a little earlier than most.

Heck, I can't think of anybody around here who WOULDN'T take the time to help encourage the next generation in our sport. As a matter of fact, I think some might even be a little envious of a father who's 12 year old son is worrying about driveline swaps.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:15 AM
Way Outta Control

Edder, Way to go with John![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Let him read this and perhaps, if he's lucky, he'll have a better understanding of what type of man you and that Jeep'll are trying to make out of him....

I grew up in the Great White North, from Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories on the east to Valdez Alaska to the south and everywhere in between, Ft. St. John, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Dawson Creek, half-mile Glacier, Fairbanks, Soldonta, Chrome.... My first job out of school was carving ivory. In short, I grew up in the bush.

It did not take long to learn the ways of survival. I learned at an early age the importance of transportation. Where I lived, if you did not have quality transportation you could be stuck 200 miles from the middle of nowhere. You could easily pay with your life for the mistake. The vehicle you chose had to be functional and safe. Looking cool was never an issue because usually cool killed.

When I turned 13, I decided to start my search for a quality vehicle, I'd been hoping for a pick-up. I asked my dad if he'd help me buy one. He said he would think about it and get back to me. Three weeks later he called me aside and said that he had come to a decision and would help me with my quest.

Oh, I can tell you, I was in hog heaven. It lasted about three seconds.

He placed a radiator cap he'd found on the road on his desk and said: "Son, I've done my part, now you do yours."

Well, I can tell you I was more'n astonished.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I accepted the radiator cap and started my search. It was the best thing my dad could have ever done for me. So now I'll let you know what I learned from that day.

I learned to budget time. I could not search for parts all day, or fix all day or work all day or go to school all day. I had to learn that everything was a priority, and how to rank them.

This lesson came in handy over the rest of my adult life. I've worked my way through two undergraduate and one graduate college degrees and have been the husband of one wife for 27 years, and father of 7 children. Without the ability to prioritize I would have never been successful at either of those tasks.

I learned to budget money. I learned the value of a dollar (and yes, even Canadian Dollars have value!) and what it would buy and how to honestly work for that dollar. I learned to recognize quality, even if it were not packaged in a flashy manner. I still prefer to buy an old car an fix it up and know what I have and put 300,000 miles on it before I start all over again.

I learned that quality is an opinion. You'll see lots of Opinion on this board, and that's a good thing as opinions also have value. Opinion is often determined by usage which then determines quality and value. Just because I was 13 didn't mean my opinion didn't have value.

I learned that to have the best I could afford was no sin. Only the rich could afford poor quality. I learned that money had power to change a life, for good or ill and if used for good, one's life is bettered.

I bought quality hand tools. Buying anything "cheap" (a shoddy product) was not going to be a good investment. I still have most of those tools and use them weekly. Yep, they are a bit worn (after 40 years so am I), but they're my friends.

I learned to plan. It took me three years to complete my project. By following my plan I learned to communicate with adults in an adult manner. I had to scrounge parts at Mining and Lumber camps, Junkyards, and off from derelict cars. That took some growing up on my part. I had to converse as a boy in a man's world. I worked hard to be respected by those I conversed with. I wouldn't trade or do business with anyone who did not return the respect I gave them. I still don't.

When I was done with the project it ran like a top. I was very pleased with myself. I had accomplished something many people never will. The project lasted two weeks. My older brother "borrowed" the project one night and destroyed it in two hours.

Though I lost the use of the vehicle, I never lost the use of the tools or the knowledge I gained. Though I did not think it then, it was well worth the effort.

I was kept off the streets for three years! That was a blessing to my parents, and looking back, to me. Though there were no real "streets," like here in the lower 48, where I lived, we hicks could always find creative ways of getting into trouble...

I learned to complete what I started. There is great satisfaction in completion. Very little in life is like that great feeling. Just to think back all these years and rememembering looking at that vehicle for the first time when it ran. Wow, I still get goosebumps.

One learns to compete only with one's self and no one else. This project was one of the things that most helped me build, and realize what true character is...

I learned to value my labor, and I matured, I learned to value the vehicles I fixed. There was no way that I would ever think of driving a vehicle I'd made with my own hands in reckless manner. It was far too valuable to me.

That three years of work helped me reap a lifetime of rewards and I hope it does the same for you.

Best of luck to you and your father as you work on that Willys together. Ain't it a great time to be alive![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great story! I will make sure John reads it letter for letter.

My up bringing was similar in the respect that I had to build my first car. My Dad watched me and gave me some direction as to the do's and don'ts on car building, but left me to figure most of it out myself. Though I b!tched at the time it was one of the greatest lessons he ever taught me, do it yourself, do it like your gonna be the next guy to work on it and never take short cuts.

Since I boght my YJ four years ago, John has been there every step of the way. I think he was kinda glad I smoked the motor last March, that way he got to help take it out and put it in, he loves it. Thats why I gave him the Willys, It will be a great project for us...he can do some of the work and a whole lot of research/reading on this board.

Again thanks a million for a great story!

Edder

'90 YJ, '79 Cherokee, '63 Willys Wagon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dang leve, I just wish I had the time that you spent typing that to work on my jeep!!

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode