rockwell ring and pinion change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rockwell ring and pinion change

I know that the 2.5 rockwell axles only come in 6.72 gearing. Does ANYONE know where I might be able to locate something a bit lower...um I mean higher (numerically lower)? Somethimg in the range of 4.72-5.xx. Or anyone that'll custom make some?
If this isn't feasible, what are my options with big (42-44)tires? I don't want boggers. Actually I would like something a bit more "all-terrainy". My father and I are converting a deuce and a half to a motorhome and want to increase the top speed a bit. Takes a L-O-N-G time to get anywhere at 55 mph!

<font color=blue>Postals have feelings too!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:55 PM
jeepfiend

Re: rockwell ring and pinion change

Geoff, I don't know of any gears, but you might get in touch with Boyce Equipment here in Ogden. Check out http://www.boyceequipment.com, or call 801-393-0007. I keep trying to get over there while they are open, but since they are not open on saturday it makes it pretty tough. Looking through the fence, they have 2.5 ton and 1 ton axles stacked like chordwood. That sounds like a pretty cool project, what year deuce and a half did you get? Get some pictures up, I am sure that will be a DJ tow rig when it is done. I just thought of something else, what about a tranny swap, or a brownie box to get the final drive ratio overdriven a little. My Dad has a ford with a 9 speed and a 3 speed granny, and that thing will go close to 100 mph, a scary proposition in a spud truck.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Michelin should make a tire like you are looking for, and that size. Maybe bigger. Even in your load range. Take a look at their website. But be ready, I heard that they are mucho dinero.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 06:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

gmoody-

I've been looking for a deuce for a time now...government auctions, mostly....whered you get yours, what year, PTO winch? and howmuch? Sorry to be so inquisitive, but hey...who else can i ask?

remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:36 AM
jeepfiend

Remy, there is a place here in Utah that sells Deuce and a halfs, most of them are on about there third owner, i.e. military, municipal service, construction company water truck. I would suppose that most of the ones they have are 60's models, and not one of them is complete. They have one that is missing half the rear suspension for $1500. I figure that the axles are worth that if they are in good shape. I don't know if any of them run. If you really want one I would check with MVPA (military vehicle preservation asociation). They have a magazine that typically has a lot of "for sale" items.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode