Any long term reports on DIY liner vs. spray in? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:37 PM
firetruck41

Any long term reports on DIY liner vs. spray in?

Can people give LONG term (like 1 yr+) reports on Herculiner, other DIY liners, as well as professional spray on liners (like Rhinolining)? I did a search, and most of the posts are people saying how great the stuff is, but most had just put it on... so how are the different liners holding up? I'd like to do one of these options to my Scrambler in the not to distant future.

Ben
1982 Scrambler, 258, no tranny, stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Any long term reports on DIY liner vs. spray in?

My durabak is still pretty good, its comming off in some places because i think the metal was to smooth in those areas. But i like it. Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sure can... for the money.. diy is way better.. i think the spray in is just a bit better quality.. but.. its also way more $$$$.. i have had my herc for just over a year.. and i do not take it easy.. tool box just bangs around back there for some 8 months.. no back seat.. have hauled axles.. trannies.. and what not.. i have some gouges in it.. small scrapes.. but i think if i did it again.. then i wouldnt have these problems.. i would have roughed the surface more.. and put it on thicker.. all in all i am very pleased with it.. hasnt faded that much either.. and i didnt run a top from mar/apr to oct/nov

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have Herculiner inside my truck toolbox and it has held up well. I have a professional spray liner in my pickup bed and it also has held up well, but it has a few rips/gouges from sharp objects. I have Durabak in my CJ7 and it still looks good after 2 years. It has peeled up in a couple of spots where I used silicone to seal the tub. Nothing sticks to silicone so don't use it as a sealer. I am about to line my Scrambler tub inside the bed and underneath. I have purchased 3 gallons of Durabak and I plan to spray the liner on with an undercoating gun. This will give the Durabak a smoother finish and I will be applying it a little thicker with the 3 gallons. 3 gallons cost me around $320 delivered to my house. I have gotten quotes from Spray-in shops for $750 for only the inside of the tub. I can't justify spending that much money for a product that is very similar to the Durabak. I got Durabak because it comes in colors, but it is basically the same as Herculiner which is available in Red,Black, and Gray.

Hope this helps.

Later,

4WheelDriveWeb
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree I have had the herculiner in maybe 2 years, and the top has been off for over that. I have to say it is pretty tough, only place it is coming off is on the door entry, but I really didn't put much on (it was pretty much an after thought). But where it counts it seems to be holding up good, I can't comment on fading or anything because I haven't had mine clean enough to tell.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have looked and looked for a color, other than black, from any manufacture of DIY bed liners. Where are you guys getting colored bed liner?

'71 Commando in progress, '77 CJ5 up to snuff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 PM

Don't use the duplicolor stuff. Mine starteds peeling after a month. I did get my $40 back though when I took the almost empty can back to Wal-Mart complaining. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you go to herculiner's website... you can get the gray and red.. so far as i know only black in stores..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:49 PM

Duplicolor sucks, that's a good idea dschawb. I think i'll go and get my money back and then maybe get hurc, but doing it all over again would be a pain, it's been in maybe 6 months and there major pealing/ scrape spots all over the place, especally under the drivers seat. I don't wash my interior though and that could be part of the problem.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:19 PM

I've had Herculiner in my TJ and my CJ for about a year now. The CJ gets some good abuse in side. Hilift gettin thrown around and what not. A few scrapes here and there but overall great. The TJ doesn't get that kinda abuse but i don't baby it and its in there great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode