New Guy Build of Buy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

New Guy Build of Buy

I live in NW Wisconsin and would like to build or buy a Jeep CJ7 or YJ. I have a 71 J4000 that could be used for parts. It has a d60 rear d44 closed front and an of set T case and a 360, I also can have a scout for moveing it R/P =4.10 in both. I would like to build a cj7 and put a scout front end under it and cut and narrow the D60 for the rear,in wisconsin rust is a factor so I want to use a fiberglass body. It has been a dream of mine for 15 years. What do you think I should do. P.S. I have a lot of tools and I am layed of in the winter, every year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Guy Build of Buy

a closed knuckle D44 isn't the strongest axle but depending on your tire size it'll probably be okay. Full size axles will stick out about 3" on a CJ or YJ so if you mind that, you're gonna have to have them cut down. I would buy a YJ if you're swapping axles cause the frame is much stronger and the body is galvanized. If you're looking for something to wheel moderately soon, I would look at an older CJ with a stronger tranny and D 44 rear. The nice thing about a Wrangler is its probably gonna be more reliable cause its newer and you can get the 4.0 with MPI. Personal preference of style can factor in alot if you're gonna build it up anyway. If you like how a CJ looks, get a CJ. You can build anyway if you really want to

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would try to find yourself a good yj with a 4cyl.. cheap.. well taken care of.. then swap in the drive train.. i have that exact same axle in the rear of my jeep.. its a d60-2 semi floater 5 lug.. 1.5" axle shaft 35 spline.. and should have 4.10 gears.. i had to cut it down 3" to match my front D44 full width wagoneer axle.. that is what i would look for for the front... 1974-1979 wagoneer front.. its a much better axle than that closed knuckle.. and stronger than the scout front also.. basically a 3/4 ton d44.. it is 6 lug.. but can be converted to 5 lug.. did that route also..
yj's just have a much stronger frame.. galvanized body.. and generally better shape.. especially electrical.. just my thoughts.. or if you are set on fiberglass.. then.. get a yj frame from a junkyard.. and put a fiberglass body on it.. a cj body will fit will little work..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:18 PM

Build the beast your self. What size tires you want to run? If they are bigger than 36's i'd say don't waist your time with a d44 front and get a d60 front. If your in wisconsin check out the swb bbs jambo post, it's in indaiana and isn't that far. Glass is a good idea for around here, though i like jeep god's yj idea.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

If I build it my self I would do a spring over and a small body lift 1-2" max and the springs would be new stock type. Frame will be sand blasted and all beefed up. The rear will be the d60 with 4.10s the front could be a scout axle, the axle would be free and it has 4.10s to. The engine/transmission could be a 350 chevy and a 350th auto with a 208np T case, or 350 with a sm465 and a 208 or 205 T case, or Jeep 360 with stock 3 speed and T case. The body will be fiber glass. I thought about leaving the axles full width and useing 6" flares. Tires will be Super Swampers 36x12.5x15 or 38x12.5x15 or 35x15.5x15's.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is what comes to my mind when I read your post.If you WANT to build it ,YOU build it.IF you want to HAVE it, then BUY it. I , myself, have found through the years that I enjoy making stuff more than the actual HAVING it when I'm done.Further, I'm pretty sure you can buy a well made rig if you spend some time looking without spending much if any for the thought and labor the previous owner put into it.Just my 2 cent worth. Marc in MN

k
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in the process of building my own rig (zly stroj) is what I am going to call it when I title it. I have a set of dana 60 front and rear 35 spline axles rear is full floating, I just got the engine 95 5.0 from a mustang, JEEPN sold me a dana 300 transfercase trans will be a C-4 thanks to KERRYP.I got a powerbrake booster and master cylinder from a buick. I bought 38x13 tsl's mounted on 16x8 rock rims, an agr steering pump, gearbox and rockram, a spool for the rear, detroit for the front and 4.88 gears. I am going to build the frame from 2x4 rectangular tubing and roll cage from 1 3/4 tubing. JP sells a bobbed scrambler aluminum body that I will order as soon as I save up. and everything else will just have to be made or bought it just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to do and spend. zly stroj is czech for wicked machine.

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds to me like you pretty much have it figured out pretty good. I personally say build it, I think you would get more satisfaction out of that. Also as I've seen on the board many times if you buy a modified vehicle you also buy their headaches or something along those lines. You could take your time and check everything out while building up and have a reliable jeep when you're done.(reliable and jeep in the same sentence...?)

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I think that I will keep looking for a cj7 that is dead and buy it cheap,and build it from the ground up so I can do it right. It sounds like it might be a the only way to get what I want,and it sounds like fun.I know that it will be a lot of work and cost a lot to do it. The cost could be stretched out over a few years. Here is a quick list of how much I think it will cost for the parts that I would need. Jeep $500.00 new body $1500.00 Painless wireing kit $500.00 Lift kit $500.00 Tires & Rims $1000.00 Paint $350.00 Full Roll cage & Bumpers$350.00 6" Flares to cover wide axles $200.00 plus all the little things $1000.00. Do you think that $6000.00 would get me close. I have a 360 & a chevy 350 that I could use.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think if you are going to put on a new body you might as well get a YJ, the frames on them are better. Also I see no mention of transfer case and tranny. Either you will have to swap these in with the donor engine, or be likely to have to buy adapters.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode